What's your fondest memory of 60's sheffield

I didn't move to Sheffield until 1978, but used to visit Sheffield often in the 60's when my Dad, then my Dad and Brother went to home games at Bramall Lane - (I didn't start following UTD until 1971) - Glory Days! So I remember when cricket was still played at Bramall Lane.

Remember Christmas Lights and Santas Forest, Hole in the Road, Redgates, Pauldens, Walshes, Davys on Fargate, market with huge scales etc!

---------- Post added 19-05-2013 at 22:14 ----------

Also remember the blind match seller outside Suggs/arcade, Twikker rag mag - used to sneak a look - some of the jokes went over my young head though ;-)

A few times we visited the bowling alley at Frecheville/Intake.

Going to the Top Rank Suite Tuesday Nights 7 - 11pm bopping to the sounds of Tamla Motown, Soul and whatever was in the charts at the time.

Memories of how teenagers then use to dress a lot smarter than they do now, Top Rank

for instance - couldn't get in without a tie.

Another fond memory is the shops that use to be in Sheffield City centre and on the Moor,

very varied selection where you could buy anything.

Currency: the ten bob note, pound note....if you had 5 pound notes in your wallet you thought you was well off.

There's so many things about the 60's I loved I could spend a week listing them all here.

60s sheffield,what a fantastic place.sat dinner in brunswick,ladysbridge hotel,bull and mouth,closing time 3 o clock so down to peacock in wicker for prawn chop suey then rileys for game of snooker till opening time.then bell up passage,mojo or city hall to finish night off,singing on last bus home to cross.what id give to do it all again.signs off with tear in eye

Used to go to Monsal Head Hotel on Friday's and Lathkildale on Sundays.

Seems like yesterday.

We used to do the same my favourite was Lathkildale Hotel Sat. nights it was the place to go,no breathaliser then if you could hold your beer you were ok.Unfortunately some couldn,t I saw a few prangs on the way home on the bends between Bakewell and Baslow on our way to Lin Hongs on London Road,curried chicken and chips 5 shillings,that 25p in todays money,fond memories of happy times!:cool::):hihi:

My mate pinched the buddha out of Lin Hongs .

We used to do the same my favourite was Lathkildale Hotel Sat. nights it was the place to go,no breathaliser then if you could hold your beer you were ok.Unfortunately some couldn,t I saw a few prangs on the way home on the bends between Bakewell and Baslow on our way to Lin Hongs on London Road,curried chicken and chips 5 shillings,that 25p in todays money,fond memories of happy times!:cool::):hihi:

We went to Lathkill one Sunday, there were three of us wedged in the front of an A35 van, my mate was driving.

On the way back after a bellyfull he thought he was Jim Clarke, he managed to roll it on one of the thirteen bends, it landed back on it's wheels with the three of us still wedged in the front.

he just carried on like nothing had happened.

But a few came off a lot worse.

We went to the Curry Inn or the Ocelot. Good times.

loved reading memories during the sixties , took me back to those long gone days and falling in love for the first time

I had forgotten about eh Deryshire pubs!! A crowd of us used to go the Lathkildale on a Sunday night, Brian Cook and the Vampires (?) were the regular 'turn' I met up with Brian again in 1999, he was dealing in insurance at that time. Recognised him at once!! Bit fuller, but still looked the same. Brian sadly died about two years ago on holiday in Spain Ithink he was on the golf course.

We used to come flying back from there and eat at Lin Hongs at Highfields, eating about 11.30 at night. My God if I eat after 7pm I am awake all night!!! That comes with old age! Some great times though.

Rock n roll dancing. everywhere was just such a good place to be. no fighting, muggings, etc. etc. freedom to do as you wished without any fear of harm. a lovely time to be young. todays kids aren't so lucky.

My dad took me to Bramall Lane in 1960 when I was nine years old

Mercifully I saw the light and became a Wednesdayite

The late Sixties were cool, The Buccaneer, The Minerva, The Nelson, The Raven....

Got a load of home cine footage shot in and around Sheffield in the 60's - just in the process of transferring it all onto DVD with a view to offering copies for sale at a reasonable price - just want to share it. Includes film shot in the parks - Longley Park baths, Concord Park, Firth Park etc., Rivelin paddling pool, film shot in the city centre with many buildings now long gone, rag week boat race and procession, St George's Day Parade, Star Walk, Whit Walk, trams, building of Tinsley Park Works etc (will update when it is done)

Where are you going to get it transferred? Got loads myself,but can`t find anywhere who can put it on DVD.

I consider myself lucky to have grown up in the 60s. I got my first motorbike and used to go to the speedway every Thursday. You could park your bike in the street and never worried that it might not be there when you went back to it. I used to go up West Street on a Friday night drinking, and never saw any trouble. Bus fares were cheap. You never heard of anyone making cutbacks or companies making people redundant. Enjoyed many nights at the Esquire on Leadmill Road. Happy Times.