Ring found on Ecclesall Road today

I found a ring today and tried to hand it into the police. They don't accept items now so gave the ring back to me and will contact me if anyone reports the ring as lost within the next 14 days. After that it's removed from the system and becomes my property. Please pass the word on and if you know of anyone who this might belong to ask them to contact the police on 2202020. You'll notice I've been careful not to give any description so blaggers need not waste their time. It's a very distinctive design and I hope the owner sees this message and is able to recover their property.

It's probably mine.

I was expecting David Beckham to pop round and propose to me today.

Now he has retired he will have the time to dote on me.

I bet he was down eccy road plucking up the courage to knock round when he realised he had lost the ring.

He likely thought he couldn't call empty handed so he didn't bother.

If It's a mahoosive spangly diamond of course :hihi:

He wouldn't be bringing a normal ring not after he waited this long.

:P

I'd be happy to meet with David and personally hand it back to him. Just ask him to call me

good on you!! and i mean it! so whats happened to the theft by finding law then? has it been abolished? another police excuse.

Thanks no1. It's obviously been replaced by the finders keepers law. Although I suppose we are still obliged to report the find, 14 days doesn't seem very long for recovery though.

It's probably mine.

I was expecting David Beckham to pop round and propose to me today.

Now he has retired he will have the time to dote on me.

I bet he was down eccy road plucking up the courage to knock round when he realised he had lost the ring.

He likely thought he couldn't call empty handed so he didn't bother.

If It's a mahoosive spangly diamond of course :hihi:

He wouldn't be bringing a normal ring not after he waited this long.

:P

...and how I laughed.

I know you probably have done, but It may be worth popping into a few of the shops of the area where it was found, as hopefully the owner may remember where she had it last and retrace her steps. If it's valuable, I'm sure she'll go looking for it.

Failing that, hopefully if enough people read this...word will get round. Good on you for being so honest though. I'd like to think most people would have done the same...although in today's society (& after watching that unbelievable 'skint' programme the other day) I'm not so sure!

Very nice of you to try so hard. Let's hope owner is re-united. Big pat on the back to OP for honesty.

Thanks no1. It's obviously been replaced by the finders keepers law. Although I suppose we are still obliged to report the find, 14 days doesn't seem very long for recovery though.

Nice one for your honesty Fandl11, maybe you can give the star a call as I sometimes see a lost item bit posted now and again and ask them to post a small ring found article.

I found a ring today and tried to hand it into the police. They don't accept items now so gave the ring back to me and will contact me if anyone reports the ring as lost within the next 14 days. After that it's removed from the system and becomes my property. Please pass the word on and if you know of anyone who this might belong to ask them to contact the police on 2202020. You'll notice I've been careful not to give any description so blaggers need not waste their time. It's a very distinctive design and I hope the owner sees this message and is able to recover their property.

Seriously? The police don't accept found property any longer?

Things continue to go from bad to worse.

Seriously? The police don't accept found property any longer?

Things continue to go from bad to worse.

This is how taxi drivers deal with lost property now (and how I know).

Why do you think things are going from bad to worse? (other than the time limit of 14 days which I think would be better with maybe 1 month), what else do you expect them to do?

What was bad, and how is it worse?

It used to be the case that the police would take the item from you and give you a receipt. The item was then safely stored and if nobody claimed it you got to keep it in most cases. If they no longer do this and they expect the finder to keep it then what happens if the finder loses the item and the owner turns up?

The finder could be responsible for replacing the item. It's a lot of burden to put on someone really.

Let's say the ring was an expensive one, worth £5,000. Imagine losing that and then suddenly the owner turns up wanting their ring back. It's going to get messy.

It used to be the case that the police would take the item from you and give you a receipt. The item was then safely stored and if nobody claimed it you got to keep it in most cases. If they no longer do this and they expect the finder to keep it then what happens if the finder loses the item and the owner turns up?

The finder could be responsible for replacing the item. It's a lot of burden to put on someone really.

Let's say the ring was an expensive one, worth £5,000. Imagine losing that and then suddenly the owner turns up wanting their ring back. It's going to get messy.

hmm, that's a good point. I never thought of that. That I suppose answers part of what I questioned.

But I'm still not sure what was bad, that is now worse. And that's now been added to, with on the above point; surely it's something good to something worse then?(or something good to something bad). :huh: