Life on Other Planets

Or perhaps those complex cycles were already here and we can use them because we evolved to fit those cycles.....

If you mean Darwin's theories really just don't make sense.According to him everything just happened,as if by magic from the Primordial soup.Any planet in the Goldilocks zone should be able to sustain life.But it did'nt just happen by gods hand or just by magic.

I have actually read On the Origin of Species. Of course, much of it is obsolete to a present-day reader, but that need not surprise anyone. In spite of his daring freethinking, Darwin was still very much a product of alchemy and the dilettante science which characterised most Victorian efforts in the field — much in the same vein as reading a Patrick Moore book on Mars from the sixties is now largely outdated.

Originally, the book was apparently to be called On the Transformation of Species, somewhat like the Philosopher’s Stone, if you like. (I forget where I read this; might have been Dawkins, Harris or Hitchens.) If you take into account the average knowledge of the biological world at that era, he may just as well have gone for ‘transmogrification’.

Star Trek' fusion impulse engine in the works

It's not quite warp drive, but researchers are hot on the trail of building nuclear fusion impulse engines, complete with real-life dilithium crystals.

The University of Alabama in Huntsville's Aerophysics Research Center, NASA, Boeing, and Oak Ridge National Laboratory are collaborating on a project to produce nuclear fusion impulse rocket engines. It's no warp drive, but it would get us around the galaxy a lot quicker than current technologies.

According to Txchnologist, the scientists are hoping to make impulse drive a reality by 2030. It would be capable of taking a spacecraft from Earth to Mars in as little as six weeks.

Anything that doesn't somehow bend/break the FTL restriction means that space travel/colonisation is going to be a very long and tedious business.

I have actually read On the Origin of Species. Of course, much of it is obsolete to a present-day reader, but that need not surprise anyone. In spite of his daring freethinking, Darwin was still very much a product of alchemy and the dilettante science which characterised most Victorian efforts in the field — much in the same vein as reading a Patrick Moore book on Mars from the sixties is now largely outdated.

Originally, the book was apparently to be called On the Transformation of Species, somewhat like the Philosopher’s Stone, if you like. (I forget where I read this; might have been Dawkins, Harris or Hitchens.) If you take into account the average knowledge of the biological world at that era, he may just as well have gone for ‘transmogrification’.

Have you read Intervention theory,if so what do you think?

Lloyd Pye... No, haven’t read that. I might some day, but I am by nature a radical sceptic in most, if not all, aspects of ‘paradigm shifting attempts’ that require strenuous corroboration... Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence.

I might give it a go, though, just to be open-minded.

There is Life on other Planets,

Yours Truely, SG1.:hihi:

Star Trek's impulse engines use plasma (ionized gas, as confirmed by Captain Spock in Star Trek VI) and are only capable of sub-light speed.

Although being able to reach Mars in only 6 weeks would be cool.

If you mean Darwin's theories really just don't make sense.According to him everything just happened,as if by magic from the Primordial soup.

Like most god botherers you have a total misunderstanding of what evolution involves. Science is some kind of alternative belief system to you.* I'm sure it suits your narrow worldview so I won't bother trying to enlighten you.

* Except when you're on your holiday jet to the Costa Plonka. Then you believe in science.

Although being able to reach Mars in only 6 weeks would be cool.

I don't know what route they're talking about but doing a quick estimation based on a straight line:

Average distance to mars: 140,000,000 miles

140 million miles in 6 weeks means about 23 million miles per week.

Sounds pretty impressive, 23,000,000 miles a week.

How far is it to our nearest stellar neighbor, alpha centauri?

4.37 light years, which is about 26,000,000,000,000 miles.

So at that speed, it would take us about 1.1 million weeks, which is over 20,000 years to get to the nearest star system.

well if there was life out there and it showed its face, we would probably kill it or experiment on it,that if it did not shoot us with it laser guns ,

What's to say we don't turn them into a delicacy?

So at that speed, it would take us about 1.1 million weeks, which is over 20,000 years to get to the nearest star system.

But have you really got anything better to do?

Scientists keep discovering new planets, don't they?

I can't imagine why our insignificant planet would hog the universe? And that known so far, too.

Surely we just need to ask the Pope. His boss must have confided in him.