Life on Other Planets

I am from the belief that planet Earth cannot be the only planet with life on it.

There has to be other planets with water or bacteria that will inevitably breed life somewhere in this universe.

There are definitely other planets with water on them.

Bacteria would be life, not a step towards it.

As mentioned on Jurassic Park, life always finds a way no matter how trivial or remote the situations may be.

You realise that's a film.

I think aliens have already visited us and these aliens could quite conceivably be us human beings from a future generation.

They wouldn't be aliens then would they.

After all, us humans have evolved from hairy hunter gatherers to slim beings now, only next step is the generic alien form we have all seen.

What makes you think that earlier human species were hairier or that evolution is somehow selecting for less hair in the future?

There just has to be some things that are true

No there don't.

and we cannot be the only ones, the truth is out there, we are not alone.

As far as we know at the moment we are.

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 08:26 ----------

Even if there is its a certainty we would not be able to communicate with them. We can only communicate with humans on earth out of millions of species.

We are only 1% different from chimps and we can go into space. What about a species that is 1% different from us in the other direction. We would be slavering curiosities to them.

Do you slaver a lot?

---------- Post added 18-05-2013 at 08:29 ----------

No, the moon came from Theia, and you said that the tilt was responsible for the tides, when it isnt.

You might not agree with the Drake equation, but as a measure of the statistical likelhood of the abundance of life it's very useful. Life may be very rare, but space is very big....

The moon came from debris from Theia and the earth, at least that's the current working assumption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis

There are a couple of theories for how the moon may have been formed. One of them is that it was formed from an impact on earth.

I never said that the tilt was responsible for the tides. I said the tilt was responsible for the seasons.

Jeez..... I quote you, emphasis mine "to the tilt of its axes which gives us seasons and tides,"

Stop wriggling, that's what you said, you cannot claim that you never said that.

The Drake Theory is useless when it comes to predicting life on other planets.

Why? What part of it do you think is wrong and what's your argument for thinking so?

Scientists keep discovering new planets, don't they?

I can't imagine why our insignificant planet would hog the universe? And that known so far, too.

Yes there was a program on saturday i think.They have made a satelite and it has found 700 planets in the universe.Two of these could sustain life as they are the same distance etc from the sun as earth.I think the nearest is 100 million years travel away.Well worth watching.And you can watch it without a TV license.:D

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=channel++aliens+are+we+alone&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.channel5.com%2Fshows%2Faliens-are-we-alone%2F&ei=ZU6aUfagJ8fx4QTa5YGoAg&usg=AFQjCNFmDgczWbqY_chwhhhy9_j9ju8MFQ

Edited by Total Chaos

The moon came from debris from Theia and the earth, at least that's the current working assumption.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis

I'm fairly well acquainted with the theory - current thinking is that the vast majority of the Moon was formed from the impactor, there was little mixing of the two to form the Moon as evidenced by the isotope ratios that have been found in lunar anorthosite. There would however have been considerable addition from the impactor into the Earth.

The biggest problem with it is that there should be more than one Moon... which begs the question where is it? It could have fallen away to be captured by Venus, or just destroyed in LHB but it's still a significant issue to be considered.

Yes there was a program on saturday i think.They have made a satelite and it has found 700 planets in the universe.Two of these could sustain life as they are the same distance etc from the sun as earth.I think the nearest is 100 million years travel away.Well worth watching.And you can watch it without a TV license.:D

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=channel++aliens+are+we+alone&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.channel5.com%2Fshows%2Faliens-are-we-alone%2F&ei=ZU6aUfagJ8fx4QTa5YGoAg&usg=AFQjCNFmDgczWbqY_chwhhhy9_j9ju8MFQ

Total, yes it was "Aliens: Are we alone" about the amazing Kepler telescope which- even during the first 18mths from it's launch in 2009, found an incredible 2 new planets a day!! One might have life in it's almost 100% water surface?

Was it Kepler 22b planet that could perhaps sustain life on land? :o

Why? What part of it do you think is wrong and what's your argument for thinking so?

The main problem is that about half of the parameters have values based on pretty much nothing but guesses, and looking at only one example of life occurring.

Don't get me wrong, it's cool, I've tried it a couple of times, but as to its accuracy, well, how precise do you think it is?

What numbers do you put in?

Space, the final frontier.....

Whether another life form is advanced enough to communicate is irrelevent, with c being such a sluggish speed through space, given the size of the universe and the length of time intelligent life is likely to survive in any given environment, the chances we will receieve communications from beings that exist now, or have ever existed, is incredibly slim.

Unless someone finds a way around the problem of C.

All theoretical physics for now tho, we're busy making mobile phones gradually larger and more powerful - we don't have time for inter-stellar travel.

Scientists keep discovering new planets, don't they?

I can't imagine why our insignificant planet would hog the universe? And that known so far, too.

earth is the lunatic asylum for the universe,

Hi bedrock did every thing, the complex water cycles, the correct mixture so that humans and animals can breathe all got here by mere chance,

I am from the belief that planet Earth cannot be the only planet with life on it.

There has to be other planets with water or bacteria that will inevitably breed life somewhere in this universe.

As mentioned on Jurassic Park, life always finds a way no matter how trivial or remote the situations may be.

I think aliens have already visited us and these aliens could quite conceivably be us human beings from a future generation.

After all, us humans have evolved from hairy hunter gatherers to slim beings now, only next step is the generic alien form we have all seen.

There just has to be some things that are true and we cannot be the only ones, the truth is out there, we are not alone.

There is no 'correct mixture' thinking that there is a failure to understand which is the cause and which the affect.

The water in a puddle doesn't wonder at the hole that is perfectly shaped to fit it...