Iphone 3gs help please

Hi all just after some advice i decided to swap my phone with someone off a selling group i got iphone 3gs but since getting it home it as sort of switch off 3 times and just goes to a darkish screen with the apple sign does come back on can anyone tell me why ??? Please help

Hi all just after some advice i decided to swap my phone with someone off a selling group i got iphone 3gs but since getting it home it as sort of switch off 3 times and just goes to a darkish screen with the apple sign does come back on can anyone tell me why ??? Please help

First of all I'd connect it to iTunes and do a fresh iOS install, this could fix it.

Sounds like battery needs replacing

If its just randomly switching off and rebooting it could be your SIM card. Try removing SIM card and reinserting while the phone is switched on. Or failing that try a different SIM if you have access to one.

Is it blocked?

Thanks guys no its not blocked cos its workin ok just every now and again it goes off. I will get my bf to connect to itunes as i have no idea what to do ha. I dont have access toanother sim unfortunatly and u mentioned the battery ? How much are new batterys ? It goes off when it gets below 30% battery

Thanks guys no its not blocked cos its workin ok just every now and again it goes off. I will get my bf to connect to itunes as i have no idea what to do ha. I dont have access toanother sim unfortunatly and u mentioned the battery ? How much are new batterys ? It goes off when it gets below 30% battery

If it only happens below 30% then perhaps it could be the battery. You can get a new battery for under £10 if your willing to fit it yourself, it's not straight forward, but relatively easy for someone who's not afraid to dismantle and rebuild things. Alternatively FoneFunShop at Handsworth charge £25.99 to replace them. Try a hard reset first, this will usually sort out most problems on an iPhone. Hold both the top and home button in for approx 8 seconds (till screen goes blank). Then turn phone back on. Don't be alarmed if the phone takes a long time to come back on. This is normal on a hard reset, especially with older phones like the 3GS.

Thanks for advice going to try this later will let u know

Thanks for advice going to try this later will let u know

Also could the phone be jailbroken? The previous owner could have had it jailbroken and then removed any traces before swapping. The type of rebooting you described can be common on a jailbroken phone where 2 tweaks conflict. Also if it is jailbroken and you do try to restore through I tunes it can cause more problems if the firmware has been changed to unlock the phone. Best way to find out is download an iPhone file manager on your pc like ifunbox, theses will usually say your phone is 'jailed' if its not jailbroken as these program's are primarily developed for jailbroken phones. If it is 'jailed' (not jailbroken) then there should be no problems with an iTunes restore.

If it is jailbroken, 2 things can occur with an iTunes restore:

- a) You will get an error code (1015) I think and the restore will fail. This means the firmware on the phone is not the firmware that iTunes has associated with the phone (it's been changed to unlock to all networks). There is a work around to solve this.

- b) The phone could restore ok but the original carrier lock could be reinstated.

NOTE: Just stating these are problems that can occur. Not problems that necessarily will occur and are only likely to occur if the phone has been unlocked unofficially.

thank u very much u seem to know quite alot.:) while ur there any chance u know why it keeps disconnecting itself from wifi ???

thank u very much u seem to know quite alot.:) while ur there any chance u know why it keeps disconnecting itself from wifi ???

Does it automatically reconnect. Had two iPhone and noticed on both sometimes when phone is on standby the wifi disconnects but reconnects as soon as I unlock the phone (or very shortly after). If that's what happening I think it's intentional to save the battery. If it is that you'll notice it doesn't happen when the charger is plugged in.

Edited by steroc