Longley Junior and Infants school

On 17/02/2020 at 16:57, Bob Fletcher said:

Pupil there from 1947 to 1953 but I don't recall attending very much in the winter of 1947. I also remember Mrs Driver, Headteacher, and Mrs Byron. I remember a girl called Josie Collins who looked after me in my early days there. In the junior school I remember Miss Hague (Haigh?) , Mr Constadine, Mr Halliday and Ken Mason who lived a few doors away from me and gave me the occasional lift in his Morris 8.  Secondary school across the City was an awful shock after this very friendly school although I seem to remember that there were 48 in my 11+ class.

Just now, gluedtopc said:

Did you live on Longley Lane just below Mr Mason and above Ethel and Albert??

hello gluedtopc (whoever you are!) Yes you have identified me correctly. Alas the hair is no longer red but there is still some there!

4 hours ago, Bob Fletcher said:

hello gluedtopc (whoever you are!) Yes you have identified me correctly. Alas the hair is no longer red but there is still some there!

I used to live next door to you! I’m Dave and Dorothy was my twin sister. Albert and Ethel were mum and Dad. I remember your red hair and seem to remember you had a motorcycle at one stage and parts of it were in your shed.  I remember Winney and Mrs Radley. Myself and Dot went to Longley until around 1965 and Mr Mason sometimes used to pick us up to school. We used to play in the woods at the back. AKA as the Jungle, spent a lot of time over the road in the park. Happy days. Hope you’re keeping OK.  Cheers. 

Bob Fletcher have you seen my post on page 3????

Well gluedtopc how nice it is to hear from you. i have been out of the country for the past few weeks so sorry for the delay in replying. Its always difficult asking after people after such a long period but how are Wendy and Dorothy?

I haven't been back to Sheffield for a long time but on the last occasion I drove down Longley lane and thought how little had changed (the jungle seemed to be there still). Do you still live in the area?

On 30/03/2020 at 18:30, Bob Fletcher said:

Well gluedtopc how nice it is to hear from you. i have been out of the country for the past few weeks so sorry for the delay in replying. Its always difficult asking after people after such a long period but how are Wendy and Dorothy?

I haven't been back to Sheffield for a long time but on the last occasion I drove down Longley lane and thought how little had changed (the jungle seemed to be there still). Do you still live in the area?

Not far away. Live up on Shirecliffe. Sadly, Dorothy passed away two years ago. Wendy is with her Husband Chris in South Wales but we don’t hear much from them. I remember your ginger hair and old cars. Had got times in Longley Lane with my sisters and friends. Always remember going to the baths in the park with my Aunty Dot (Dolly) and scoffing I’ve creams from the little shop there. Hope you and your family are all well. Dave. 

Well the cars have got a little newer and I would describe the hair as blond although the family would prefer white (although only behind my back!) Talking about Dolly and Bill reminds me of your grandfather and the spaniel (Kim?) that he tried to control but rarely seemed to succeed. So sorry to hear about Dorothy, please remember me to Wendy when next you are in contact. We live on the edge of the west Midlands but both our children, now in their forties for goodness sake, live in Surrey like so many of their generation. London was the draw of course but not quite the draw it was now they have families of their own!

I went to Longley Infants and Juniors from 1956 to 1961. I lived at Fairbank Road and then at Norwood Avenue. I remember Miss May and her ruler from the infants and Mr Mason, Mr Short, Miss Patterson, Mrs Cain, Miss later Mrs Brownhill! And Miss Evans.

I was there 55 to 59

with Roy Bull, Steven Duroe, Ian William's, David Reynolds, Tony Barber, David Conklin, Jennifer Truman, Freda Raitak, Kevin Bream and more.

My cousin was in the year above.

Miss May, Miss Patterson and Mrs Caine were staff members.

I was born in 1950 and strangely can use a smart phone. All marbles intact.

Edited by MikeyF
Wrong info

I was in this year group with you and remember all those named too. Until 2 years ago I used to see Roy Bull ringing the bell outside the Annual Peace Fair in the Town Hall to encourage people to come in.

I left Longley Juniors in 1959 following the 11+. I was in Miss Marriott‘s class at the time.  Anybody else on here from that period?

On 18/05/2013 at 21:26, Alsancak said:

I would imagine anyone who went to Longley around 47 would be in their 70,s now and most oldies that age simply won,t pick up a laptop.

So I suppose you may be on your own bullerboy ?

I  LEFT LONGLEY IN 1960 THEONLY ONE I CAN. REMENBER WAS MRS CAWTHORN MR LHILL