Longley Junior and Infants school

Sorry boys, I've seen enough on google maps to save me travelling all that way to get wet and cold, I've got no family left in Sheffield nowadays, I don't like flying, so we're off to see more of Oz instead.

Sorry boys, I've seen enough on google maps to save me travelling all that way to get wet and cold, I've got no family left in Sheffield nowadays, I don't like flying, so we're off to see more of Oz instead.
Send me the plane fare and i'll come and see you trev i could with some sun,we are only poor pensioners here now and getting poorer by the day.Hope your keeping well,sory to read about the loss of your friend of 15yrs i know its heartbreaking.Well cheery bye for now and keep your elbows from touching wood.:D

It's a wonder that you haven't been deported here! Pity about Skippy being too old to travel though, I reckon I might have to drive down to see him soon, the wife's always been on to me about seeing more of the South Coast. When you live in paradise, it's hard to get up and go travelling these days.

Hey Skippy, you should see what they have done to Mt Penang these days. The Youth prison is still there (maybe we could get Bullerboy transferred there), but it's a major tourist site now with the gardens etc.

Your right about the heat, a bit too much. Really hot & dry and a big fire risk.

Millsie

I think they stopped deporting us when they stopped sending little lads up the chimneys,its a pity though cos it wunt cost me owt to get there,rather fancy being a modern day Ned Kelly.

You wouldn't like it here Bullerboy, snakes & spiders ready to eat you alive in your own backyard, then the sharks and stingers waiting to get you when you go for a dip in the ocean, trust me, it's an awful place to live, and I wouldn't wish this lifestyle on anyone, ha ha.

Then again Skippy, he'd lose so much weight in this heat, running away from every thing that moves, he could go back home and become a chimney sweep!

Then again Skippy, he'd lose so much weight in this heat, running away from every thing that moves, he could go back home and become a chimney sweep!
OI! you two I come off Sherclife and you should know we dont run from owt,christ millsie thah as been away from huame a long time ,its been clean air here since QE2 got in her chair.:D

As a relatively new member of this Forum I will offer my twopenn'th so that bullerboY can be assured there is at least one slightly older former pupil still around!

My education started at the outbreak of WW2 (you had to be 5 before you started so the first year saw a steady stream of new pupils each term).I think it was probably January 1940 when I joined Miss Hall's reception class and Miss Pearce was the Infants' Head. The ARP Wardens had a room next door to her office on the Raisen Hall Road side of the building. I progressed through to the top year and left in 1946, Miss Chapell was the Head and it was in this final year that a Man(!) teacher came onto the staff (ex-Army) Mr Harford as I recall. A Mr Mason had left in 1939 who I remember as we had to go to his house to get our gasmasks fitted.

I can remember about half the names of the final year class of Miss Chellingworth - 54 of us- but 2 other similar sized classes in that same year!

yes I went there 52/58 I remember Miss May , Mr Shorten , Mr Mason

a very good school experience

Mike Heathcote

I went to longley, nursery, infants, juniors from the years 1948-1955 my nursery nurse was 

Miss Kent, my infant teacher was believe this or not was called miss Chipchaser  then married       in  some holiday and came back Mrs Dyson. Other  teachers remembered were a Mrs Byron 

and   Mrs Wikinson the head teacher being a Miss Driver.

The head teacher in the juniors was a Miss Chappell, my teachers in the juniors were a  Miss Robinson, Mrs Caine, and the last two years was Mr Talbot, other teachers remembered was 

Mr Constantine, Mr Mason, Mr Short, the secretary was a Miss Scholes I left longley in 1955 and went to Shirecliffe.  I remember the accident with the school gate and a badly damaged finger I didn't know the the lad personally but remember the gate being locked for a perod of time after  possibly the start of health and safety.

Pupil there from 1947 to 1953 but I don't recall attending very much in the winter of 1947. I also remember Mrs Driver, Headteacher, and Mrs Byron. I remember a girl called Josie Collins who looked after me in my early days there. In the junior school I remember Miss Hague (Haigh?) , Mr Constadine, Mr Halliday and Ken Mason who lived a few doors away from me and gave me the occasional lift in his Morris 8.  Secondary school across the City was an awful shock after this very friendly school although I seem to remember that there were 48 in my 11+ class.

Hi Bob Fletcher I remember you well seeing as we spent six years together at Longley school in the same class.we were also in the cubs together.I remember all the teachers you mentioned.Me and Miss Chappell were on very good terms as i was a visitor to her office almost every day to show me her big stick ahaha We had a school reunion in 2007 where were you?Are you on Facebook Robert?Do you remember when we went camping with the cubs to Birley farm with Mr Wiggleworth who was Ahkela  and David Steeples dad who was Balloo,David lives near me.i am at Wickersley and he at Bramley he married a Wickersley girl.I remember you had ginger hair and your friends were Geoffrey Bower,Michael Platts and David Swift.I was the rogue of the class ahaah nothing changes. I reckon we last spoke in 1953 time flies.I am in touch with Hilary Wiggleworth and she lives in Scarbro now.I hope you reply to this little note. Mel PS bet you havnt forgotten the phrase Shoe Shop ahaha

Edited by bullerboY