Has anyone lost a chocolate brown male kitten in Glossop Road area

Well I don't actually live on glossop road its my sisters house where we found him, I live on psalter lane which is no better as that's where I lost my cats but I won't be letting him out and I am moving shortly hopefully somewhere much quieter

Some of you are too much...she posted on here to see if anyone had lost a kitten or knew who did and she took it to be scanned why should she put up posters??? I havn't seen any posters saying that this boy is lost!!!! If the owner was so bothered they would have chipped him b4 he went out he is old enough to have been snipped he's got a big ole pair of balls for a small kitten he is defo about 5 months and I had all my 3 done around that age and chipped soon as I got them...Carl who has ads on here comes out to your house and chips for £9 or at vets with kitten pack u get chipped so honestly if the owner hasn't put up posters like my sisters going about to do that I wouldn't cos she already posted here and went to check he wasn't chipped...she hasn't just took him the first night we wouldn't let him sleep in the house so he went away and came back soaked with rain next night and he was nowhere to be seen all day so he obv was able to find his way back here and he is very contented and purrs very happily following my sister about so honestly for all y'all getting uppity its lucky he found her n she really wants him than if he was just wandering and no one took him in

Some of you are too much...she posted on here to see if anyone had lost a kitten or knew who did and she took it to be scanned why should she put up posters??? I havn't seen any posters saying that this boy is lost!!!! If the owner was so bothered they would have chipped him b4 he went out he is old enough to have been snipped he's got a big ole pair of balls for a small kitten he is defo about 5 months and I had all my 3 done around that age and chipped soon as I got them...Carl who has ads on here comes out to your house and chips for £9 or at vets with kitten pack u get chipped so honestly if the owner hasn't put up posters like my sisters going about to do that I wouldn't cos she already posted here and went to check he wasn't chipped...she hasn't just took him the first night we wouldn't let him sleep in the house so he went away and came back soaked with rain next night and he was nowhere to be seen all day so he obv was able to find his way back here and he is very contented and purrs very happily following my sister about so honestly for all y'all getting uppity its lucky he found her n she really wants him than if he was just wandering and no one took him in

Really I think that you're the one getting uppitty here.

Its great that you want to help the kitten etc but how do you know no one is looking for him and out of their mind with worry?

He might have never been out before and slipped out for all you know, they might have been waiting till he was neutered till they chipped him and planned to let him out then...of course there is a high possibility its none of those things but my point is you don't know how he got to be at your door, it really wont hurt to try to find the owner will it? someone might be heartbroken searching for him and him missing them too, not everyone comes onto Sheffield forum and I'm sure that by law that wouldn't be enough to decide that the kitten is now yours.

Really I think that you're the one getting uppitty here.

Its great that you want to help the kitten etc but how do you know no one is looking for him and out of their mind with worry?

He might have never been out before and slipped out for all you know, they might have been waiting till he was neutered till they chipped him and planned to let him out then...of course there is a high possibility its none of those things but my point is you don't know how he got to be at your door, it really wont hurt to try to find the owner will it? someone might be heartbroken searching for him and him missing them too, not everyone comes onto Sheffield forum and I'm sure that by law that wouldn't be enough to decide that the kitten is now yours.

Seconded. When a stray cat wandered into our garden with no chip and no collar we put posters up, cards in newsagents windows, rang local vets and all the rescue places we could think of to tell them we had her. Just because we didn't see any posters saying she was lost didn't stop us trying to help get her home. It's what you do if you care about animals & you think about how you'd feel if the situation was reversed. We never found where she'd come from & she's still with us 8 years later.

I think in the UK the Law that applies whether or not you can keep a cat you have found is this....Legally, if you've put up notices, you can keep the cat after 14 days have elapsed.

Found this on Cats Protection website

Theft Act 1968

Cats are regarded in law as the ‘property’ of their owner. The theft

of a cat is treated as an offence under the Act in the same way as

theft of any other property.

A cat that is lost or has strayed is generally regarded as the property

of the original owner. It is therefore necessary to make all reasonable

endeavours to locate the original owner whenever possible

Edited by spats
Added bottom bit.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1111197 here is the story of our one i found round here , he still isn't neutered despite being asked to do so , he isn't chipped but in every other way he is loved and cared for so you cannot judge , he still plays with our cat and he still comes into the cellar

The RSPCA say that as long as you can show that youve made every possible attempt to find the owners (put up posters etc) you can start to think about rehoming/keeping it after around 10 days...

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/helpandadvice/straycats

(Edit to add...Sorry Spats, didnt see your post)

I would also advise that you wait until you can legally keep the cat as your own before you go ahead & get him neutered, chipped or vaccinated. If an owner does come forward and they are unhappy with what you have done to him, I think you could be held accountable to charges of criminal damage.

Laurie love, take the RSPCA advice posted by Nikki-Red. Ten days isn't too long to wait to make sure you have done everything possible to locate its owner, if in fact it has one. There are so many people abandoning cats and kittens so thank goodness you cared enough to take in this little soul in the first place. There are some evil people out there, some of whom hate vulnerable cats and kittens x