Issues in Page Hall/Firth Park

Or uses the slang word slags,when pulling someone up on their English spelling,

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_slag_mean_in_England[/quote

The meaning of the noun 'slag' is, indeed pretty much as you suggest.

The meaning of the English phrasal verb 'slag off' is somewhat different.

Example: "The concert was terrible and all the papers SLAGGED the band OFF."

I doubt more regular bin collections would help as folk in the described area just throw litter straight on to the floor. They also have a total disregard to many other laws such as driving, parking, loitering on streets. Of course folk know who I am on about!!!

It's funny you should say that, because my area does not have loads of litter etc.It does just seem to be certain areas in Sheffield and certain................

It's funny you should say that, because my area does not have loads of litter etc.It does just seem to be certain areas in Sheffield and certain................

Looking at one of your posts from 2 years ago you were asked if you'd snitch on heroin dealers. Your reply was;

If an dealer is dealing to adults,no but if a dealer is dealing to 10yr olds then,yes.

So you admit you don't mind heroin being sold to adults but when it comes to some litter, well that's something to get worked up about.

Certain what? Cat got your tongue?

In reply to the comment about the mosques getting together for a cleaning program, I live at Page Hall and have to say the Asian community isn't the major offender. Not wanting to sound xenophobic but it is the newly arrived Eastern Europeans causing the majority of the rubbish problems.

I agree with your point above.

It's the Eastern Europeans are the worst offenders, but remember that there was a problem with litter and general scruffiness in Page Hall before they arrived too.

The Asians are the more established community in Page Hall and have better community links through their Mosques and local groups. I feel if they were to set an example to their own communities and the newly-arrived Eastern Europeans to clean up the area and take pride in where they live, it would give the whole area a boost.

I wish you all the best :)

Looking at one of your posts from 2 years ago you were asked if you'd snitch on heroin dealers. Your reply was;

So you admit you don't mind heroin being sold to adults but when it comes to some litter, well that's something to get worked up about.

I thought you lot on here wanted it legalising anyway :rolleyes:

In reply to the comment about the mosques getting together for a cleaning program, I live at Page Hall and have to say the Asian community isn't the major offender. Not wanting to sound xenophobic but it is the newly arrived Eastern Europeans causing the majority of the rubbish problems. For example last night I was 40 yards away from home after walking the dogs a Slovak neighbour came down his path, eating a banana and when finished tried to throw it in my garden. He missed and left it, throwing the crest of it on the grass verge. I know this is only one example but I can cite many more. I have attended the monthly meetings and asked that details of basic behaviour be published in the Burngreave Messenger and that the local meetings held at the nearby click tower be visited. As of yet I have witnessed move of this. Also the council has employed a local Slovak Liason and again I have seen nothing happen, indeed at previous meetings all the residents have been met with has been a femake Slovak support worker weeping that they just want to belong.

I agree the community has to work together; but had to be the WHOLE community.

I will listen with interest to tonight's Radio Sheffield discussion.

I don't live at Page Hall, but for 50 odd years I have lived in the general area and still do. Initially it was the just the area of Fir Vale and Page Hall that was affected. However as more and more immigrants have arrived here, the problem spread to Firth Park and now Shiregreen.

In all these area's since these Eastern European people have moved here the standard has gone down. Walk up Sicey Avenue for example and you can tell where they live. The gardens are unkempt, there are piles and piles of rubbish all over, not just in their gardens but on the public verges and footpaths.

This litter can be anything from used nappies, to empty food cans (which will attract rats and other vermin) to beds and chairs. Talking of used nappies about 3 months ago my downstairs toilet started to overflow, it was disgusting brown smelly stuff just coming up from the bottom and spilling over into the porch. I rang our housing authority who sent plumbers out straight away, they cleared everything up and put rods down the loo, it turned out that it was dirty nappies that had been put down the toilet from a few houses down and blocked all the piping system, being the end house where the system ends I got all the backup.

These people live in disgusting circumstances in their home countries and come here to make a better life for themselves. If this is so why do they turn the nice homes they have been given into the slums that they have left. Education is what they need, and lessons in speaking English, surely that is the secret to becoming part of the community you live in, speak the language.

I hope something comes from these meetings but the people responsible are not going to attend.

Edited by curriechick

It will take a little time but those eastern Europeans will integrate. They are not used to clean roads, maybe it scares them. Give it a little time and they will change and stop throwing things all over.

I have seen volunteer Asian people clean the roads around there, when other people see that they will slowly start to think different before they throw something.

I thought you lot on here wanted it legalising anyway :rolleyes:

It was much better when it was legal in the NHS.Since they dumped it,it is now horrible stuff.

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 18:03 ----------

Can we stick to the topic please :roll:

Sorry Mr moderator :D

---------- Post added 20-05-2013 at 18:03 ----------

I don't believe you.

That seems to be the norm :roll:.I can spell scum,but last time i said it, i got called a rascist :(

Edited by Total Chaos

while the people involved are on their mass clean up, could someone in authority do something about the asian grocers on the end of owler lane /barnsley road crossroads . the one which uses old pallets and boxes for makeshift counters on the footpath and these are left there 24 hours aday ,52 weeks of the year .what an eyesore and surely a health and safety issue.

. ... old pallets and boxes for makeshift counters on the footpath and these are left there 24 hours aday ,52 weeks of the year .what an eyesore and surely a health and safety issue.

They are on private land edging the pavement, I agree they look untidy but if its private land the council can't do anything.

next time you pass, 'trip' over a pallet, get yourself a nice, fat, 'no-win, no-fee' compo payout.