Issues in Page Hall/Firth Park

I'm afraid it's a human disease, one that we should recognise in ourselves and acknowledge is a shortcoming and do something about it.

I remember members of my family moaning about Asian immigrants (by this time West Indians had been in the UK for about 20 years). They failed to see that the discrimination they were perpetuating was the same discrimination excated on them by the indigenous-just different reasons (whites said we ate dog food, blacks said Asians ate babies ;) ).

Well not all whites said that and Define white because most of who say the are white british are infact immigrants themselves The royals are decended from the germans

Well we lived on Skinnerthorpe Road in the late 60's and weren't the only black family in the area although it was predominantly white. I remember my (white) stepfather boozing with his black mates in The Limes slightly further up the hill, although technically I guess that's slightly out of Page Hall. When we moved out an Asian family moved in.

Do you know Dereck stewart????

Do you know Dereck stewart????

Sorry, not heard of him.

---------- Post added 23-11-2013 at 12:51 ----------

Well not all whites said that and Define white because most of who say the are white british are infact immigrants themselves The royals are decended from the germans

It was a joke pigeon_pen :)

Well we lived on Skinnerthorpe Road in the late 60's and weren't the only black family in the area although it was predominantly white. I remember my (white) stepfather boozing with his black mates in The Limes slightly further up the hill, although technically I guess that's slightly out of Page Hall. When we moved out an Asian family moved in.

I was brought up on Standon Rd and there was more than 1 black family on the road but it wasn't classed as a black area.

I was brought up on Standon Rd and there was more than 1 black family on the road but it wasn't classed as a black area.

I don't dispute it dobby, so perhaps the experiences of those black families was unique to them for various reasons.

well in that case, instead of having a go at me for trying to explain how i see the areas history, you tell me how you think it became an area of high immigration?

It was the close proximity to most of the Steel Works,that encouraged the population growth in that area when most of the Immigrant Population arrived.Rents were cheap, & as now you would get Several people living in one Property.

Edited by keithwbb
spelling

Sorry, not heard of him.

In the late 60's there was a bunch of us used to hang about together around Page Hall, one of our friends was a black guy ( who had a scottish sounding nick name), he was very popular with the ladies ;). Can't say I know of any other black families around that time.

Edited by crazybaby

Sorry, not heard of him.

---------- Post added 23-11-2013 at 12:51 ----------

It was a joke pigeon_pen :)

Why you calling me pigeon pen ???

It was the close proximity to most of the Steel Works,that encouraged the population growth in that area when most of the Immigrant Population arrived.Rents were cheap, & as now you would get Several people living in one Property.

cool, cheers for a "proper" answer Keith :)