Play arena on Little London Road

You'll be surprised to learn that there is no legal requirement for places like this to provide first aid facilities for customers. It surprised me.

For all the "health and safety gone mad" jokes, real-world health and safety protections are extremely weak.

---------- Post added 27-02-2014 at 22:21 ----------

Incorrect. There are British and European standards about this kind of thing, but no actual legislation:

Source: http://www.rospa.com/leisuresafety/adviceandinformation/playsafety/play-area-surfacing.aspx

This is correct...however in these places accidents are common and duty of care only goes as far as taking all reasonable measures to reduce the chance of accidents happening...after all the feedback on this forum and others mumsnet (All now deleted ) i am not confident this has not been met....

A child head has been trapped in the equipment...and the establishment is still saying there is no risk?

i am aware in one place a child died and only then staff took an interest in health and safety.....too late!

I have heard nothing but complaints about this play centre. Most of my circle of friends will not use the place and avoid it at all costs. Given this I would expect they will go out of business as there are much better, professional play centres out there and we are willing to travel to them.

I have heard nothing but complaints about this play centre. Most of my circle of friends will not use the place and avoid it at all costs. Given this I would expect they will go out of business as there are much better, professional play centres out there and we are willing to travel to them.

The turnover for this place resulted in the owner being nominated as Asian businesswoman of the year. Best part of a million£ p/a, wasn`t it? We`ve found it to be fine tbh.

Have been researching this and looked amazing was gunna risk the long two bus journey and walk to get there. Listening to this and the attitude if management and staff will not bother

I went a couple of years ago, and had a bad experience so vowed never to go back. However, decided to give it another go this week,hoping that it would of improved at bit, but no. £12 to get in with a five and two year old. My five year old had fun and playing with her friends. So took my 2 year old into the toddler bit with the octopus. Well she was happy playing, until she saw some one sat on the octopus going round and round. So she decided she wanted ago. So I put her on. Then to be told that I was not allowed on the octopus, I was standing on the bouncy castle around it. I said that there was no way she could climb up herself, and was told that when I kept coming back she would learn to climb up( I don't think my five year old would be able to climb up her self), I was told there were no supports or restraints for it therefore adults couldn't go on. So I asked how I would get my daughter down, or should I just leave her there turning round until she learnt how to climb down........she is still stuck there now turning round as far as I know ?

Also if my girls want to play together or the elder one wants to watch the younger one they are not allowed as, as the tannoy system tells us over and over again no over three's allowed in the area. Also waited ages for food, we all ordered food at the same time on the same order, but ours were 20 mins after the rest of the food being served. Other people were getting there food ?

Runaround so much better, cheaper and much better food xxx

I went a couple of years ago, and had a bad experience so vowed never to go back. However, decided to give it another go this week,hoping that it would of improved at bit, but no. £12 to get in with a five and two year old. My five year old had fun and playing with her friends. So took my 2 year old into the toddler bit with the octopus. Well she was happy playing, until she saw some one sat on the octopus going round and round. So she decided she wanted ago. So I put her on. Then to be told that I was not allowed on the octopus, I was standing on the bouncy castle around it. I said that there was no way she could climb up herself, and was told that when I kept coming back she would learn to climb up( I don't think my five year old would be able to climb up her self), I was told there were no supports or restraints for it therefore adults couldn't go on. So I asked how I would get my daughter down, or should I just leave her there turning round until she learnt how to climb down........she is still stuck there now turning round as far as I know

Also if my girls want to play together or the elder one wants to watch the younger one they are not allowed as, as the tannoy system tells us over and over again no over three's allowed in the area. Also waited ages for food, we all ordered food at the same time on the same order, but ours were 20 mins after the rest of the food being served. Other people were getting there food

Runaround so much better, cheaper and much better food xxx

I've been to parties at both. Both were good. The party at the Play Arena though, the kids were sitting ages waiting for their food to arrive. The party food at the Runaround seemed a lot better organised and the staff were absolutely excellent.

Move on 12 months and nothing has changed

There is a huge thread running on facebook about this

My grandson had to go to hospital after running into this table at PLAY ARENA on little London rd. The staff were very rude and the owner would not move the table out of harms way. My daughter moved it and it was put back It has been reported and I shall be taking the matter further. Please share especially if you have been and found it to be an unpleasant unsafe environment like I have read in so many comments left on 26 swaps

My grandson had to go to hospital after running into this table at PLAY ARENA on little London rd. The staff were very rude and the owner would not move the table out of harms way. My daughter moved it and it was put back �� It has been reported and I shall be taking the matter further. Please share especially if you have been and found it to be an unpleasant unsafe environment like I have read in so many comments left on 26 swaps

So your daughter is the one who must have started the social media campaign to get the place shut down= http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/business/business-news/sheffield-play-centre-hit-by-social-media-closure-campaign-1-7477635

Not being funny but your grandchild ran into the table in an area where parents are supposed to supervise their children so how is it the play centres fault?

The article states the tables have been changed for rounded ones and the environmental health people have checked the place out and said the cafe is not part of the soft play zone.

we all love our kids as I have 3 myself but sorry I think this campaign to shut the place down is out of order.

Edited by mafya

My grandson had to go to hospital after running into this table at PLAY ARENA on little London rd. The staff were very rude and the owner would not move the table out of harms way. My daughter moved it and it was put back �� It has been reported and I shall be taking the matter further. Please share especially if you have been and found it to be an unpleasant unsafe environment like I have read in so many comments left on 26 swaps

Translation:

my daughter wasn't looking after her child and hurt themselves and now we want someone to blame for her being an unattentive mother

I suppose the more pressing - and more easily addressed - question is why wasn't your grandson being supervised? There's signs everywhere telling people to supervise their children yet few parents actually do.

I've just had a similar experience to snowbird re the giant octopus. I was told that it is h+s tested to be appropriate for under 3's (even I would struggle to climb up). We were also admonished for daring to have a can if diet coke that wasn't purchased on site (having spent close to £50 on admission and food). Fair enough If we set out a packed lunch but the staff there don't seem to understand turning a blind eye. That said having seen the way the owner/manager talks to her staff there's no wonder they're afraid to show any common sense for fear of being bawled out in front of customers. We will not be going there again and would definitely advise others against visiting too. Which is a real shame as it has the potential to be a really great play centre. Sadly the awful management is slowly going to run it into the ground.

Edited by jamesape

I've taken my kids to it a couple of times. The only minor issue I've got is that helter skelter tube slide is a bit hardcore for younger kids. Its extremely fast.