Please help me recognise this house in Sheffield

Here?

Only because of the position of the arched window, though it looks like a passageway on the painting.

And the pavement; the bit outside the gate is almost identical.

Edited by Lockjaw

No. That's Houndkirk Road. I mean the bottom of Ringinglow Road opposite Banner Cross Hall.

Edited by marshman

No. That's Houndkirk Road. I mean the bottom of Ringinglow Road opposite Banner Cross Hall.

I was making the suggestion to Nagel.

He's taken some liberties with the perspective, but I'm sure it's the green house set at an angle at the bottom of Ringinglow Road where it meets Ecclesall Road South The grey shape top left is Ecclesall Church.

This place? - http://goo.gl/maps/sC6PV

I don't think so, because Harry Epworth Allen tended to be realistic with the details, whilst applying a surrealistic perspective. The house you mention has three stories, the one in the painting has two. There's no railings and the front garden is totally different.

This place? - http://goo.gl/maps/sC6PV

I don't think so, because Harry Epworth Allen tended to be realistic with the details, whilst applying a surrealistic perspective. The house you mention has three stories, the one in the painting has two. There's no railings and the front garden is totally different.

Hiya Nagel. What are your thoughts regarding the one I suggested?

Hiya Nagel. What are your thoughts regarding the one I suggested?

I'm not convinced, because the road isn't as bendy and the window lintels are different, although I see where you're coming from.

Harry Epworth Allen did a painting of the Ringinglow round house across the road.

What about the road that leads down to Wyming Brook? Turn right after Norfolk Arms and follow the road down, and the last road that you turn left to drive towards Wyming Brook carpark has a very similar looking house at the junction.

Tried to link it to google maps...turns out im not that clever. But it would explain the amount of trees etc behind it because it does, just about, back on to Wyming Brook.

Edited by Tess

What about the road that leads down to Wyming Brook? Turn right after Norfolk Arms and follow the road down, and the last road that you turn left to drive towards Wyming Brook carpark has a very similar looking house at the junction.

Tried to link it to google maps...turns out im not that clever. But it would explain the amount of trees etc behind it because it does, just about, back on to Wyming Brook.

Don't know if its the same one you mean, but there is a similar looking one at the junction of Fulwood Lane and Andwell Lane, but I don't think its the same one as the picture, as theres no pavement.

Is this the one you mean?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.369305,-1.594231,3a,75y,33.34h,81.58t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sS1F7PX_Ec6a2-PDqvE-F1g!2e0

Not convinced, sorry.

I'm not convinced, because the road isn't as bendy and the window lintels are different,

Agreed. I guess it depends how accurate he was and how much artistic license was used.

The archway would seem the most obvious recognition feature - I wonder therefore, since nobody has recognised it, if the house still stands.

Edited by Lockjaw