Sheffieldish - words & phrases

the billy can was not only to mash abrew in, it was also used in rolling mills to fetch beer in on beer breaks while the temp on cold steel rose so it could be rolled , before all the health and safty act

Remember Pre tea bag days, when we used to to take a "mashin" to work ?

A mix of tea and sugar screwed up in a page of The Star.

I had a Mashing can back then, an enamel jug with a cup lid, (anyone remember their real name ? ) but graduated to a pint pot.

kept a tin of nestles milk (sticky milk ) with two holes in the top in my locker, and had some happy times trying to sink the logs floating on the top of my mug of tea as I poured it in..

A where a r8 Pob eead.

That is it's proper name!

We used to pour the milk into the can after it was mashed.It needed cleanig out every now and again with a handful of sand scrubbed ropund in the bottom of it.

And,amazingly,I've lived to tell about it!

sharrabang= coach/ cut= canal/ sterie=sterlised milk/ dicky dirt=shirt/ sub= a loan of part of your wages,while end of week then deducted off your wages.

That is it's proper name!

We used to pour the milk into the can after it was mashed.It needed cleanig out every now and again with a handful of sand scrubbed ropund in the bottom of it.

And,amazingly,I've lived to tell about it!

I agree Shane, and I also remember when we were kids, we went out took one bottle of pop or summat, and shock horror we "shared" it between us. We ate our lunch with dirty hands & we never got ill or died, we'd always come home "loppy" & mum would always say where you bin darn t'pit

Some swear words always puzzled me as a kid

You could say your nose was " BLEEDING ", and you could say you were living in "HELL" but put the two together, and it was straight to bed !!!

Tha ad to Use thee eead an keep thi gob shut, or tha got thi backside tanned...

Edited by grinder

fever grate= drains in the street/ How are you going my old china= are you feeling ok / Mabs= marbels/ ankel swingers=long trousers that were to short

Gas Lamps. (Gassies )

It never dawned at the time how daft it sounded, but I can remember telling me mam about em changing the bulb in one of the Gas lamps on our street.....:huh:

PS.

I still call em Gas lamps..

Edited by grinder

fever grate= drains in the street/ How are you going my old china= are you feeling ok / Mabs= marbels/ ankel swingers=long trousers that were to short

Trousers at half mast, we used to say.

Divie.

Dividend from the Co-op..

Gas Lamps. (Gassies )

It never dawned at the time how daft it sounded, but I can remember telling me mam about em changing the bulb in one of the Gas lamps on our street.....:huh:

PS.

I still call em Gas lamps..

So do i,and my grandkids have no idea what a telewag pole is...

So do i,and my grandkids have no idea what a telewag pole is...

Post deleted

karsi=toilet/ mummering=wishing people happy christmas and new year going round to peoples houses