Sheffieldish - words & phrases

remember one programe i saw on my first tv around 1950 it was called men of champagne.

hiya griinder j,praps thy remembers arv jus thort on warrabart oops a daisie, an daffie down dillie,.an remember wasselin fort new year like hole in the pocket,hole in the shoe please can you spare a copper or two,if tha ant gorra penny aipny will do, if tha ant gorra aipny god bless you.

An if yer made too much noise playin, sumbody ad come art an gi yer a reight gob full an tell yer to play further darn rooed....

Sum on em were dead common round our way....:hihi:

Edited by grinder

An if yer made too much noise playin, sumbody ad come art an gi yer a reight gob full an tell yer to play further darn rooed....

Sum on em were dead common round our way....hi hi:

hiya j, an if tha sung carols at new year thid shout an tellthe we had them last week so don't cum ageern.

Mind thi, if tha sang em at reight time arf on em ud tell thi " wiv ad sum body" !!

Or "goo an play on thi own part"...

Edited by grinder

Sum on em were dead common round our way....hi hi:

hiya j kids don't no the born turday how would the go on wi oils int shoes, oils in socks,tide mark rount neck

oils inthe jumper,jersey,shoes two or three sizes too big,cut down wellies, waring wellies from september to march, them wellington tops dint harf mek the legs soor,an remember around 1950 when millets was going strong with war surplus, leather pilot helmets, i had a leather one but think mine was a russian one it didn't have the perspex ear pieces on,

Edited by willybite

Knowing the kids today Willy they'd probably pay extra for them.....:rolleyes:.

Aye.. Gossegogs.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 13:51 ----------

Ah meant: goosegogs...

Knowing the kids today Willy they'd probably pay extra for them.....:rolleyes:.

hiya j,ano ony at christmas me grandson was wearing a new cardigan and i said to him tha want tu tek that back sharpish stitchins coming undone, then his mother my daughter piped up dad it was bought like that its the fashion,

Socks were worse, I owny had to wear em once to stick me big toower through em....;)

But at least thi were gray, lasses wore white ankle socks !!!!!!

Barmy, after a game o togger on field thi must a been loppy ....

Edited by grinder

rosy lee apples and pears

this is london slang

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 12:30 ----------

sorry mate we are yorkshiremen, not southern softies :)

i live in the south, not a good idea to refer to them as softies. Softies they are not

---------- Post added 08-01-2015 at 12:31 ----------

the mantel piece on a fireplace was called a cornish,

raymondo spot on mate

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondo1952 View Post

surely, its a cornish thats called a mantel piece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondo1952 View Post

surely, its a cornish thats called a mantel piece.

Yer pays yer money yer takes your choice......:hihi:

The support across the top of a doorway or a fireplace is also called a Mantel...

Apparently they were called a Cornish because the early ones were made from Cornish slate, although some say it is just a miss pronunciation of Cornice....

I prefer the slate one myself...:)

Edited by grinder

Aye.. Gossegogs.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 13:51 ----------

Ah meant: goosegogs...

hiya, we rarnd arway ud callum goosegobs.

---------- Post added 09-01-2015 at 21:01 ----------

Yer pays yer money yer takes your choice......:hihi:

The support across the top of a doorway or a fireplace is also called a Mantel...

Apparently they were called a Cornish because the early ones were made from Cornish slate, although some say it is just a miss pronunciation of Cornice....

I prefer the slate one myself...:)

hiya grinder j, i remember my grams mantel piece, it was a shelf across the width of the fire place, she had all sorts on it like a pair of vases, a pair of spaniel pot dogs a clock, all victorian, around the edge was a fringe with tassels, but underneath the fringe was another shelf out of sight,she had a brass fireguard and beside the fire a very large kettle that she kept topping up with water, and i remember it had a large ball bearing,or a marble inside.

Edited by willybite