Sheffieldish - words & phrases

My gran n grandad used the word "doings" a lot.

Like..."Shane,where's that doings?"

Or.."Is that that doings over there?"

Strange.....

In our family it was usually code for money lent, promised, or owed, but not mentioned in public, as in, "'ave yer got t' doins?"

Or a variation, "that there".

"'ave you got that there?".

Dosh......Money

Cribbin......complaining.

Edited by grinder

My gran n grandad used the word "doings" a lot.

Like..."Shane,where's that doings?"

Or.."Is that that doings over there?"

Strange.....

Hiya Glasgow,

This is a question for you mate, when I was on business in Nottingham a few years ago met a bloke from Glasgow, and he said that people often went out for "messages".

I asked him what these were and he said food shopping, have you heard this term mate. He also pronounced J as "Jai"

Pete

Hiya Glasgow,

This is a question for you mate, when I was on business in Nottingham a few years ago met a bloke from Glasgow, and he said that people often went out for "messages".

I asked him what these were and he said food shopping, have you heard this term mate. He also pronounced J as "Jai"

Pete

Hey-up Pete!

Yes messages is a term used for shopping in Glasgow.But,to be honest,it's not used that much. Probably the older generation.

I get puzzled looks if i say 'pop' They say juice.

Breadcakes become rolls.

Been called a 'fanny' on the odd occasion. (which i found a bit insulting) it just means 'idiot' haha.

Hey-up Pete!

Yes messages is a term used for shopping in Glasgow.But,to be honest,it's not used that much. Probably the older generation.

I get puzzled looks if i say 'pop' They say juice.

Breadcakes become rolls.

Been called a 'fanny' on the odd occasion. (which i found a bit insulting) it just means 'idiot' haha.

Cheers it's strange our son in law is from Barnsley, and they call bread-cakes teacakes, we've tried to educate him that teacakes have currants in, or are little chocolate treats with marshmallow in.

Cheers it's strange our son in law is from Barnsley, and they call bread-cakes teacakes, we've tried to educate him that teacakes have currants in, or are little chocolate treats with marshmallow in.

If he's a barnsleyite, you should surely know, there's a difference... A bread cake is a "Tee-a-cake" and a teacake is a "Cerrant (currant) tea-a-cake"

My mother, whose real name was Nellie, was nicknamed "Mag" by relatives of her generation. Apparently, this was because she practiced the art of "magging" - chattering a mile a minute - when she was a child.

Anyone else heard that expression - magging?