Sheffieldish - words & phrases

This inscription appeared in an overhead crane driver's cab at Hadfields Ltd. which I was working on. I scratched my head when I saw it. However , I got it once I read it out loud:D It said "Whale Oil Beef Hooked" :wink:

This inscription appeared in an overhead crane driver's cab at Hadfields Ltd. which I was working on. I scratched my head when I saw it. However , I got it once I read it out loud:D It said "Whale Oil Beef Hooked" :wink:

:hihi::hihi::hihi: had to work it out. but I got there.

Anyone hear this, I never had before being told the tale......

1st. old lady " She didn't keep a clean house, you know."

2nd. old lady " Mucky was it ?"

1st. " Mucky Missis, it were mella !"

Mella , Mellow ????

I remember when as a lad I had a bucket full of frog spawn in outhouse , me mam said I had to get rid of it because , it stinks mella

Where does "Clock cold" and "I'll go t foot o our stairs" come from ??

It's 'Clock cowd' innit.

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 19:50 ----------

It's 'Clock cowd' innit.

Got that wrong. It's 'clap cowd'.

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 19:50 ----------

It's 'Clock cowd' innit.

Got that wrong. It's 'clap cowd'.

Knock, knock!

Who's there?

Fred!

Fred who?

Fred me dis needle!

Knock, knock!

Who's there?

Alfred!

Alfred who?

Al fred it mi sen!

Another works one. At the ESC Bar Mills on Hawke Street in the early 60's was written on the side of a furnace " Oh Lord above, send down a dove, with wings as sharp as razors, to cut the throats of all the blokes who cut the Bar Mill wages !"

going back to the 50s when there was toilets in the wicker where you had to pay a penny to use them.

noted on toilet wall. among others

hear i sit broken hearted paid a penny and only farted

I remember a chap from the south on a building site. Somebody said to him 'watch that oil' looking for oil... he fell down the hole....true story

I remember a chap from the south on a building site. Somebody said to him 'watch that oil' looking for oil... he fell down the hole....true story

I remember once I was watching some game show with my granddad on TV, and there was a question "Name a type of Oil" to which my granddad responded "Arse oil"

Ey up! I am looking for informants from South Yorkshire and Chesterfield to fill in a survey on social perceptions towards British accents in Sheffield and surrounding areas. It's for my Master's thesis. If you can give me a hand I would really appreciate! This is the link: https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/fwAtmK47#/0

Thanks in advance!👍

Edited by Bart11

hi @Bart11 have just completed it - interestingly did something similar on my Social Psychology module for my MSc!