I remember mam always looking for her 'dish clout'

my favourite word is yitten

Not heard that for yonks I like:

Shut thi gob

who war thee wee war tha wee thessen:)

---------- Post added 22-06-2016 at 08:22 ----------

T?ts up

Ar£e over t?t

Mam always put a plaster on knees... Scrape my knees complete with gravel embedded under my skin by roller skating down hills on scowerden farm estate.. Happy days... Then the plaster would fall off and you could compare who had the worst injury... My jacko roller skates my most treasured possession...

I thought they named them after me and the jackie magazine

So innocent and naive.. Bless me... Learnt a lot since then .. Lol

I fell down on tip top o our road got loads o grit in me knee

Dad was "doctor dowse" ,in st john ambulance when younger, so remember scrubbed out most of it from the graze then cleaned up and plaster on

Still got scar

HI

Check out the new Sheffield Secrets book on sale - at Sheffield Scene, ebay or amazon, that is full of Sheffieldish, cartoons etc... if you like the nostalgia and dialect? Donkey stones, tin baths, distempering the outside loo.... cutting up newspapers for toilet paper and paying for stuff on't tick.

Full of old and new photos.... and secret stuff about sheffield... WWII pill box in the Don Valley.... Cold war bunker -- telephone transmitter disguised as a tree... village water pump in Norton Lees and more...

Absolutely tons of Sheffieldish dialect examples and cartoons - if you liked the little 50p book from the 70's you might like this better??? It has find the secrets treasure hunt pages to keep the kids busy in the six weeks holiday as well - worth every penny to keep them quiet at just under a fiver!!!:)

Is that Sheffield's Secrets or Secret Sheffield?

i have just bought the last one on ebay? none on Amazon.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sheffield-Secrets-city-guide-Sheffieldish-Dialect-ISBN-9780954921316-/361675552741?hash=item54358af7e5:g:gnsAAOSwdzVXowlY

btw, thanks SYK books for the info

Edited by kidley
text added

You are welcome.... hope you like it...

hiya i had one bought me as a wrap up last christmas called sheffield dialect,i find it easier to say than to read out, since a move to south derbyshire eighteen months ago i let the old dialect slip out, people dunt no warr arm on abart,

my dad used to say things like.

his bin lid = cap wes cut waistcoat.pinstripe a suit bonce cover =cap again.ees gorra rug on is napper, wearing a wig,

he used to say about his oxfords meaning his trousers, when he was a young man he had oxford bag trousers bottoms were 30 ins he would say you hadn't got to see your shoes when you were stood, and on drainpipe's we said they were a new fad in the 50s he would say his grandad wore them as well.

tipsy turvey.wonkey. him wit funny arm/leg/eye/ears/walk/.it warrnt funny for dem oo addem.

upsa daisy, a teaspoon of tea for every one and one for the pot.when you say cobbler the younger ones duntno wat day warr,

Edited by willybite

Hi willybite,

It's funny what drops out of thi gob wi out thinkin some times innit?

Tuther day a were darn town at bottom ot moor an this feller cums up t me an asks me we're railway station were,, an duz tha know straight off top o me ee'ad wi out thinkin a said "down were Rag n Tag mar'kit used to be".

Tha should a seen look on is face, thad a thought a were talkin a Foreign language !!!

Mind thi nar days a probably were......:hihi:

Edited by grinder

Hi willybite,

...e".

Tha should a seen look on is face, thad a thought a were talkin a Foreign language !!!

Mind thi nar days a probably were......:hihi:

How loppy .