Sheffieldish - words & phrases

just been hit in chops, ie in the mouth :o

Well done raymondo for getting your "noggin" around this thread.

= well done raymondo for getting your "head" around this thread.

eg "understanding"

Nowt to do with the festivities earlier in the month, but I've recently been reminded of the term "KALIED". ie for them as don't twig it, Southerners and such, a euphemism for having supped too much lotion, tiddly, p....d, etc. Argument, gentle discussion, followed about its origin. My thoughts are that it came from "kali powder", that sherbet thing that kids sucked up with a liquorice straw from a paper packet about the size of a tea bag..... well before ingesting other white powder became fashionable. And this white powder could be made into a fizzy drink, hence the association with strong ale.

Any other ideas ???????

When my mum used to shout at him, my dad said she sounded like a "common vardyke". Nobody seems to know this word - any clues? Also told her to "get down Dixon Lane" where the market used to be.

I dont think this has been mentioned before, i sow it on S/F not so long ago

togger = football

My folks were from Attercliffe right back to when it was farm land. Memory fades, but:

'Dancers' meant stairs, something to do with Fred Astaire always dancing on them (or the name?), so "Gerrup them dancers", 'Twirls' were keys, and 'Mad eye' meant a nutter, someone tearing past in a car would provoke "Ay ay, mad-eye!"

I remember 'mad-eye' being used by my parents in exactly the same context as your example but I thought they were saying 'madite'.

I dont think this has been mentioned before, i sow it on S/F not so long ago

togger = football

Oh my god! you've re-awoken a long-dormant neuron in my brain. Yes, I remember saying "togger"! That's an essent word!

Yes, I remember togger, also grid for bicycle, mabs for marbles, causey edge for kerb, bread and scrape for an insubstantial snack. My dad, who was brought up in Wincobank had numerous odd expressions but I suspect he had made up most of them himself.

Mike

Did anyone (like me) used to go to the chippy and ask for "scraps"? This was basically loose bits of fried batter. What a scrounger I was!

Yes, I was into scraps. We always knew black pudding as black dag. Potted meat (not seen it since I left Sheffield) was known as potted dog. Sliced potatoes dipped in batter and fried were scallops. Rice pudding was Chinese wedding cake. There was a pub built into the old Corn Exchange before it was demolished, known as T' Manche, I think it was really called The Norfolk Arms or something like that. It was frequented by workers from the fruit and veg market. At school, Nether Edge Grammar we played a playground game known to us as "Finger, Thumb and Rusty Bum" a sort of an adaptation of leap frog.

Mike

Bottled it....... lost his nerve...

Trousers at half mast.......Showing too much sock ..

And wasn't there some thing about a rag mans trumpet ?.......:o

Edited by grinder