Sheffieldish - words & phrases

For somebody who was bow legged. :)

Only 40 times Jim Lad ? Tha mun be nobbut a kid !

But drifting off topic a bit..... or maybe not too much, cos it's banter from the past......., what about the ragging the Owls & Blade fans baited each other with ?

eg....... Way back when Wednesday fielded Swift & Westlake as full backs, Swifty was on the verge of getting an England cap. Someone said " Fred Walters int' "Star" says Wolves have offered £ 15, 000 for Wednesday's back pair ", a lot of brass then. Blades fan scoffed back " Gerraway ! Westlake's never worth two hundred quid !".

Ah do Willy

The only aftershave I remember back then where Life buoy soap, anyway thad gerra funny look if tha walked in pub wearing perfume.

As for haircuts, a where a Crew cut man mi sen and a bit of drippin on it worked wonders as long as it dint get too warm so it started running down thi foreead.....

She's got teeth like stars, thi come out at neet....

hiya grinder j. its true what you say, one of my mates always short of cash, i've seen him get the chip pan off their cellar head and use the fat on his hair no kidding.

talking about being short of cash there was a general shop on headford st and she would sell one or two cigs a time i went in to buy 10 woodbines, and when i got outside 2 or 3 mates asked to borrow a cig, when they lit up on said whats this turf,another had a robin, when i looked there was a right mixture of cigs, then one said it'll be all the odd fags she had left over that was the last time it was happening to me.

Edited by willybite

hiya grinder j. its true what you say, one of my mates always short of cash, i've seen him get the chip pan off their cellar head and use the fat on his hair no kidding.

talking about being short of cash there was a general shop on headford st and she would sell one or two cigs a time i went in to buy 10 woodbines, and when i got outside 2 or 3 mates asked to borrow a cig, when they lit up on said whats this turf,another had a robin, when i looked there was a right mixture of cigs, then one said it'll be all the odd fags she had left over that was the last time it was happening to me.

There were some strange fags knocking about back then, and I'm not talking wacky baccy either.

I remember us all being curled up laughing when one of my mates asked for 20 Du muria ? or something, they were apparently in a red and white striped box with a lid and I'm not sure if they weren't different colours an all, any way they didn't have any, but if they had had he'd have been sat on his own that night I can tell you.

And then there where some oval ones as well, were they 'Passing clouds' ?

There where also some Black and whites one's and some very long ones called 'Joy sticks' I think...

I never got past Park Drives at work and 'Player' on Holiday me sen....

...one of my mates asked for 20 Du muria ? or something, they were apparently in a red and white striped box with a lid ... then there where some oval ones as well, were they 'Passing clouds' ?....
Here is an old du Maurier advert. and here is a pack of Passing Clouds.

these was the one we bought when we tried to look good

didnt think they still sold them

http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Sobranie-Black-Russian-Cigarettes-Pack-of-20-2096.html

Senior Service were also considered a little classier than Woodbines and Park Drive.

Some others at random:

Three Castles, Grand Turk, Pasha, Players Weights, Robin, Turf, Clifton, Airman, Bar One, Kenilworth, Calverley, State Express

Senior Service were also considered a little classier than Woodbines and Park Drive.

Some others at random:

Three Castles, Grand Turk, Pasha, Players Weights, Robin, Turf, Clifton, Airman, Bar One, Kenilworth, Calverley, State Express

and the one's i started smoking with, Craven A cork tip

---------- Post added 27-07-2014 at 12:39 ----------

malarkey = talking or writing a load of {drivel] rubbish. whats all that malarkey

We called Christmas decorations ' wesling balls' and kaily was sherbert.

Was it Turf that had a sort of do it your self cigarette card on the inside that you had to cut out ?

Yes Players and Senior Service where called "best fags", because they were a bigger cig than Parkys or woodbines ..

There were some strange fags knocking about back then, and I'm not talking wacky baccy either.

I remember us all being curled up laughing when one of my mates asked for 20 Du muria ? or something, they were apparently in a red and white striped box with a lid and I'm not sure if they weren't different colours an all, any way they didn't have any, but if they had had he'd have been sat on his own that night I can tell you.

And then there where some oval ones as well, were they 'Passing clouds' ?

There where also some Black and whites one's and some very long ones called 'Joy sticks' I think...

I never got past Park Drives at work and 'Player' on Holiday me sen....

hiya grinder, some of the brands when i started smoking were, park drive,woodbine,turf,players weight,robin, craven a, one of our mates went in for alfred dunhill,gold flake, this last one the boss of the firm i started work from school used to chain smoke these 80+ per day, don't remember ever buying 20 packs,just 10 and 5 packs,tho when a craze for using a cigarette case in 1955ish cases held 15 fags so it was a 10 pack and a 5 pack,

= 1s 4d , 8d, 15 cigs for 2 bob, in other words 2 pints of beer.

i remember a workmate how i managed to pack up smoking and i answered him like this, i told him if i could stop smoking for two days that would be me finished, the first day i got up at 6 am and reached out for a cig before i even put kettle on, well i went all day without one, the second day same again 6 am,reached out for a cig and said to myself none yesterday see how long i can go today, started fancying a fag so i thought have an early lunch,later fancying a fag so i had an early tea, later fancying a fag so i had an early supper, i looked at the clock after i had finished my supper and it was just turned 11 am ha ha, that was 1st may 1976.

Edited by willybite

Oh just thought of another, capstan full strength

My first cigarette, back when I was aged 14, was a Consulate. (a menthol cig... my friend said "here, have a drag of this, it's like smoking fresh air." I did. "*cough, choke cough Splutter*". I turned a lovely shade of green.)