Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Tha looks a reyt pippy show wi thi britches arse 'angin' art.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 16:38 ----------

Shurup or ahl gi' thi smmat to cry abaht.

As an 'ex' Sheffield Corporation Transport Conductor and Driver from 1963 to 1970, Staff seen to be working extra hours were labled "Sueters". Queing at the depot inspectors window was said to be after "Suet". Suet being the fatty substance that mothers of the time used to supliment in cooking for us.

Suet was used for making dumplings we used to say were havin a reight good tea stew an cannonballs,never said it when mom was around though :D

Yesterday, describing to my other half what I thought was going to happen when I opened the oven door, I said that I expected the smoke would come puthering out. He looked at me like sowse and "you what":?: He'd never heard of it but my mother used it all the time....

she will be chuffed= glad happy

Yet, ironically, "chuff off" would not be taken as a compliment, nor would calling someone a "chuff" be considered very polite. :huh:

Tha looks a reyt pippy show wi thi britches arse 'angin' art.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 16:38 ----------

Shurup or ahl gi' thi smmat to cry abaht.

"Pippy-show" is a phrase used frequently by my parents and grandparents. For the life of me, I have never got to the bottom of what a "Pippy Show" was.

All I have ever discovered is that " *insert choice of mess or disaster or fashion accident here* looked a reyt pippy show..." *Shrugs in a puzzled manner.

My parents used "Shurrup rooerin, else a' s'l gi thi summat t' rooer for!"

.........My parents used "Shurrup rooerin, else a' s'l gi thi summat t' rooer for!"

Ah yes, the same logic as "A'l teach thi to gi me a yard o' cheek!" (or whatever else it was you didn't think you needed any lessons in)

As an 'ex' Sheffield Corporation Transport Conductor and Driver from 1963 to 1970, Staff seen to be working extra hours were labled "Sueters". Queing at the depot inspectors window was said to be after "Suet". Suet being the fatty substance that mothers of the time used to supliment in cooking for us.

In the building trades, if you worked a lot of overtime, you were referred to as a "grabber".

Perhaps because in involved a lot of sucking up to the foreman.

There was a slang term we used for that too (bown nosing?) but I can't recall it at the moment.

There was a slang term we used for that too (bown nosing?) but I can't recall it at the moment.

He's up his arse :cool:

"Wang" is old Sheffield slang for throw, chuck, sling.

bin past wetwang:hihi:

He gen im a Pandas eye, .....a black eye...