Sheffieldish - words & phrases

Brings back memories, nippers tho we used for kids also, ankle biters (little kids also), shut thi gob (be quiet), ne'ow (no), are you now in America? I asked as you use sidewalk, we say pavement; or path.:)

I always thought "nippers" meant young uns, little kids. In Newfoundland, they call mosquitoes nippers, for obvious reasons.

Brings back memories, nippers tho we used for kids also, ankle biters (little kids also), shut thi gob (be quiet), ne'ow (no), are you now in America? I asked as you use sidewalk, we say pavement; or path.:)

In Toronto, actually. Since leaving in 1959 my Sheffield dialect is frozen in time. But back home it has evolved with a lot of the old expressions gone. We never referred to the "loo" or a "gateau", it was closet and cake.

A couple more are stop yer "wittlin", most families had an "'obinfoot", we poor lads only had "jerkin suits" at "Whitsuntide", maybe a "wireless", and if we were really lucky a "gramophone". When a lad brought an apple to school we tried to be the first to get "dags ont' cuwer" (core).

If a selfish lad didn't get his own way, he "tookt' nark", money was "dosh".

Funny how it "allus" comes back. Your "ne'ow" was a good one.

Edited by trastrick

We never referred to the "loo" or a "gateau", it was closet and cake.

Awwww come on everyone knows it was the bog and bun :D

'He's on't nest'

Bit naughty that one.

Awwww come on everyone knows it was the bog and bun :D

At mine it would have been "Lav" and "cream bun"......(Attercliffe)

Rammel in't cellar.

Forgot about Bull Week..the week before the holidays when everyone worked oer, to draw as much as possible fo' seaside.

Sneck lifter,an amount of money to buy a drink in the pub in the hope of someone buying your beer all night in sympathy of you being skint.