Barrister says age of consent should be 13

Yes you could.

To protect vulnerable 16 and 17 year olds, the offences of 'abuse of a position of trust' prohibits sexual contact between adults and children under 18 in schools, colleges and residential care.

On Monday January 21st, five men appeared in court charged with 21 sexual offences following a police investigation into the sexual grooming and exploitation of a 16-year-old girl.

What if he works in a different school? Or a call centre? Just get on Facebook and you're away groom a 14 year old, perfectly legally with a 13 age of consent.

For gods sake man..no matter what you do in regards to the laws there will still be injustices..always have been always will be. To change a present system which regrettably has let down 1, maybe 20?..who knows could be 50 is a pretty safe system when you apply numbers.

As Chris says..if you move the ages around all you do is quite simply that..move them around. And has been proved..by numbers alone the current does work...the system actually cooperates with young in sexual relationships. You're using one tragic case to undermine the whole system.

Why?

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 21:34 ----------

Exactly..The pervs barrister would have a field day.

I already disproved all the points you make, and this is just a discussion so obviously nothing we say will change the law, I've proposed a better system would you care to comment on it.

Ah, so you are acquainted with the Sexual Offences Act 2003 but wilfully choose to ignore it when it suits. Interesting.

Bingo!

Ah, so you are acquainted with the Sexual Offences Act 2003 but wilfully choose to ignore it when it suits. Interesting.

Yes it a floored act which needs improving to better protect young people.

What if he works in a different school? Or a call centre? Just get on Facebook and you're away groom a 14 year old, perfectly legally with a 13 age of consent.

No it isn't and my post just demonstrated that it isn't. You can be charged now froor grooming a 16 year old.

<Dilusional> I've proposed a better system would you care to comment on it.

Yes..but I'll let you do the talking....

this is just a discussion so obviously nothing we say will change the law

Amen to that, considering I'm not proposing a change and you are.

You are fare game because you don't have a spelling disability, to pick on me would be a breach of discrimination laws. :D

Making assumptions there. How do you know that I don't? Just because I don't choose to advertise it in my signature? You have no idea what disabilities I may or may not have.

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 22:17 ----------

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/398773/Lower-the-age-of-consent-No-we-ought-to-raise-it

Making assumptions there. How do you know that I don't? Just because I don't choose to advertise it in my signature? You have no idea what disabilities I may or may not have.

---------- Post added 11-05-2013 at 22:17 ----------

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/398773/Lower-the-age-of-consent-No-we-ought-to-raise-it

Wasn't Dworkin a "Lady of the Night?

That's an interesting thing to pick up on, I'm guessing that if she sold herself that you think she's less than human; is that it?

Your point being what exactly? Yes, she was also sexually abused when she was aged 9.

That's an interesting thing to pick up on, I'm guessing that if she sold herself that you think she's less than human; is that it?

Everybody is something for a reason. Its obvious SG has a hatred for the male populous, and to hold a belief dear, is to have had or read about a bad experience. A woman can cry rape for whatever reason she wants, whether it be that she has been genuinely attacked, or the cheque has bounced. Its never black or white.

Everybody is something for a reason. Its obvious SG has a hatred for the male populous, and to hold a belief dear, is to have had or read about a bad experience. A woman can cry rape for whatever reason she wants, whether it be that she has been genuinely attacked, or the cheque has bounced. Its never black or white.

Who is SG? There are plenty of male posters on here (and males eleswhere) who share my views, do they have a hatred for the male populous too? Don't buy into the stereotype, it's rather facile and a very convenient (and transparent) way to attempt to undermine an argument put forward by a woman. If she isn't a misandrist, hey guess what? She used to be a hooker. Nice try but poor, very poor.

If everyone is something for a reason, where does that leave the rape apologists on here? Those who advocate the lowering of the age of consent and choose to minimalise and trivialise rape and child sexual abuse?

Edited by Suffragette1