"do as i say, not as i do"

Interesting comments, (I wonder how long the thread will last?!) I could add my own on the subject of traffic, but I want to add another element, still related to the police acting within the law and I also, like the OP welcome any comments on this:

It was last half-term I believe, and we took the kids to McDonalds, Farm Rd. (I know! I know!) Whilst we were sitting at a table eating, two officers pulled up outside and walked in. They appeared to be wearing guns. They waited at the side of the till and they were brought hot drinks. I didn't see them pay, but they may have paid. I know that some business do offer free hot drinks as a courtesy to members of our services. I felt very uncomfortable sitting with my family in the presence of officers with weapons just a few feet away and it's not something I want to experience again. Does anyone know what the law is regarding this? Are officers with weapons entitled to walk in to family restaurants (I know!) to obtain refreshments?

They are allowed to carry firearms in public, whether it's a routine patrolling or a visit to McDonalds to get their dinner.

Where else would you have them put their weapons?

Edited by Agent Orange

i agree that laws should be upheld by all citizens regardless of your job and to lead by example is always the best way. but as for us complaining about police being armed while in public, thats a tough one.

i'm a mother too so i dont like the idea of anyone being armed around my kids. on the other hand i dont like the groups of thugs shouting abuse at each other and abusing staff.

i think lead by example can be applied to almost anything. if we tollerate people being abusive and threatening then surely we are teaching our kids that its o.k to act that way or to ignore other people doing so.

i understand why the general public dont want to say anything to these idiots. i always think twice before speaking up cause you never know if its gonna escalate the situation.

but we cant on the other hand complain when the police are armed in public area's on a regular basis to deter this behaviour.

it would obviously be better for fire arms to be locked up in there cars or something but would it have the same affect on the idiots that they are trying to deter.

Where else would you have them put their weapons?

Armed response used to lock their weapons in a safe mounted in the patrol car.

They only took them out with the express permission of whoever was in charge.

An inspector or above i think.

Armed response used to lock their weapons in a safe mounted in the patrol car.

They only took them out with the express permission of whoever was in charge.

An inspector or above i think.

I thought was for rifles. They keep their sidearms with them as routine.

I don't want to take my kids anywhere were cops or anyone else have real guns on them if I can avoid it.

Best not take the kids to central London, any major port or airport or most foreign countries then.

I thought was for rifles. They keep their sidearms with them as routine.

Your probably right.

My info was from way back (at least 10+ years) any way.

It could have been a Tazer very similar

Armed officers wear a side arm at all times, and keep other weapons locked in the vehicle safe.

You seriously think its inappropriate for children to see police with guns and be near them? What do you do abroad? What will you do when all UK police are armed, it'll come one day.

As far as driving goes, emergency services don't have to use lights and/or sirens to claim exemptions. Exemptions can be claimed as long as the vehicle is being used for police/fire/ambulance purposes, and not to do so would hider the purpose for which the vehicle is being used.

See this web site for a simplified breakdown of UK blue light law:

ukemergency.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=61

An update to this. Cheshire Police wanted me to provide photographic evidence of this. :rolleyes:

The swines.

As far as driving goes, emergency services don't have to use lights and/or sirens to claim exemptions. Exemptions can be claimed as long as the vehicle is being used for police/fire/ambulance purposes, and not to do so would hider the purpose for which the vehicle is being used.

See this web site for a simplified breakdown of UK blue light law:

ukemergency.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=61

all that^ i have no problem with.

but the police stretch that exemption to include every vehicle journey, such as "investigating" a break-in that happened not-last-night-but-the-night-before (the rapid response unit), or taking 'young johnny' home to his parents after he was found drunk and unconscious on a school night.

The only way I can look at that positively is that if they deal with that as quickly as possible, they are free again quicker should an actual life threatening emergency occur.

all that^ i have no problem with.

but the police stretch that exemption to include every vehicle journey, such as "investigating" a break-in that happened not-last-night-but-the-night-before (the rapid response unit), or taking 'young johnny' home to his parents after he was found drunk and unconscious on a school night.

And you can say this for certain, how? Do you follow every police car and vehicle... :suspect: