"do as i say, not as i do"

vehicles used for police purposes are exempted from speed limits if obeying the speed limit would hinder the purpose of use . they also have exemptions related to parking.

there is no requirement for warning devices to be used when claiming the exemptions.

I once came down Manchester road, late at night raining very heavy, a police car pulled out behind me it followed me for about a quarter of a mile then came up close behind me and i mean very close behind me, it infact tail gated me right down to the childrens hospital where i lost my nerve and pulled over, the police car pulled in behind me, i was first out of the car and walked back towards the police car, the bobby got out and started his speach "do you know" at which point i interrupted and boomed trust me i ferkin know, i know what kind of an idiot you are, i rather un-politely suggested we attend west bar police station together, he declined lol and got back into his car with a real red face, think i got lucky that night, most coppers would have done me anyway lol

vehicles used for police purposes are exempted from speed limits if obeying the speed limit would hinder the purpose of use . they also have exemptions related to parking.

there is no requirement for warning devices to be used when claiming the exemptions.

i'm still waiting for someone from sy police to confirm or deny this, quoting the relevant legislation that allows them to do so. as previously mentioned, the lack of response speaks volumes.

if 'sidestepping' motoring laws is allowed, then that should be public knowledge, otherwise public confidence in south yorkshire police would be compromised further. my confidence in police to uphold the law is at an all time low.

according to the police's own code of conduct ( http://southyorks.police.uk/our-standards/codes-conduct ) "The standards ... enable everybody to know what type of conduct by a police officer is acceptable and what is unacceptable." and "Police officers behave in a manner which does not discredit the police service or undermine public confidence, whether on or off duty."

it's almost impossible to know whether a police vehicle exceeding the speed limit when not answering an emergency is acceptable or unacceptable from reading the above code of conduct because of the brevity and indeterminate wording of that code.

according to http://southyorks.police.uk/content/police-driving :

“Only the officer driving will decide if the use of legal exemptions and/or the vehicle’s emergency equipment is warranted and may be called upon at a later stage to justify their actions.”

okay, legal exemptions, now we're getting somewhere... only it seems we're not allowed to know what those exemptions are, or they are very well hidden.

on the same page: "All Police drivers have to be accountable and will have to justify their actions."

that is what i'm trying to achieve. and just under that line, again on the same page:

Associated Procedural Instructions:

This policy is supported by the following procedural instructions:

D51537 - Police Vehicles

D50474 - Police Vehicle Driving

D50818 - Police Vehicle Incidents

D51279 - Pursuit Management

so, are the public allowed to read these, or are they a secret as well? the only link to a pdf on the page refers to:

Equality Analysis:

D51539 Police Driving.pdf

so, driving isn't racist. but i think that was obvious.

anyway, that's about tl;dr enough for now.

---------- Post added 12-05-2013 at 09:55 ----------

As for trying your hand in court for a speeding offence, I would say that if you had a half decent solicitor you would get away with it.

only just noticed this one, so understandably you may have missed the part in my original post:

i'll happily take three points if i can expose the lawlessness of someone who should know better.

no solicitor required.

Not here to defend the police but am surprised at some of the comments on her relating to police carrying guns and peoples reactions to them. Why are people so surprised that the police are carrying guns and why are they so alarmed by it. If they are eating their McDonalds with other people about then so what? I take it they weren't waving them about or leaving them unattended on the tables?

slight jump of topic but still on the subject of police,

i was in town afew months ago, and had too much too drink,

i was being loud and the rest, but would not say i was any more offensive than most around me,

i got pulled to 1 side by a couple of police men, and was asked where i was going and all the rest,

then was told to get out of the town centre or else, I was actually at the spot where taxi's pull up below city hall,

so i told them i was waiting for 1, and they told me i had to start walking, i could not stay there, and was called an idiot, when i said i will leave when taxi came, i was told to stop be stupid to get on my way, not to come back to town ( i was in town 6am working that day )

i said it was not me that was being stupid, it was them, as i would not get home on my own,

they then told me if i talked to them like that again, i would get arrested, i was told to move with a gentle push in the direction they wanted me to go,

I left ofcourse, police cells are not my favourite sleeping place,

i was drunk, i was sitting on the floor singing but also at a taxi rank, ( my songs tend to be rude when under the influence of ale )

if i had carried on calling that police officer i would have been arrested, if i had pushed them i would have been pinned, handcuffed and arrested, then ended up in court for assault,

how comes they are allowed to call me an idiot,stupid and push me. and walk away free men

Well, if you are drunk, sitting on the pavement, singing rude songs, and refuse to go home when requested, I would say ALL those names apply pretty well.

i'm still waiting for someone from sy police to confirm or deny this, quoting the relevant legislation that allows them to do so. as previously mentioned, the lack of response speaks volumes.

The exemptions from speed limits are under the Road Traffic Regulations act 1984 section 87 and there also some exemptions for them to contravene traffic signs.

If they weren't able to have these exemptions they would never be able to catch anyone for example they see a car in the distance they want to stop assuming its travelling at the speed limit unless they exceeded the limit they would never catch it up. This us apart from the obvious need to get to a scene of a crime or emergengy quickly

I was in a cue of traffic on city road a couple of days ago. Going about 20 or 25mph and there was a police 4x4 at the back of the cue.

Out of nowhere he accelerated and went on the wrong side of the road at well over 40mph and rushed to the front of the cue.

Then he went through the red lights at the top of mansfield road.

He caused two cars to break suddenly and one to blast its horn at him.

At no time did he apply the blues and twos.

I thought this was very dangerous.

That was you well and truly snookered then - was it painful?:hihi::hihi:

That was you well and truly snookered then - was it painful?:hihi::hihi:

Its not my fault i cant spell very well :(:hihi:

Its not my fault i cant spell very well :(:hihi:

It's not that bad, you managed to spell dangerous correctly but it was quite funny - sorry:D:hihi::hihi:

I once came down Manchester road, late at night raining very heavy, a police car pulled out behind me it followed me for about a quarter of a mile then came up close behind me and i mean very close behind me, it infact tail gated me right down to the childrens hospital where i lost my nerve and pulled over, the police car pulled in behind me, i was first out of the car and walked back towards the police car, the bobby got out and started his speach "do you know" at which point i interrupted and boomed trust me i ferkin know, i know what kind of an idiot you are, i rather un-politely suggested we attend west bar police station together, he declined lol and got back into his car with a real red face, think i got lucky that night, most coppers would have done me anyway lol

From my experience your lucky you didnt get your face kicked in.:(

Saw a police car pull into the disabled bay at Infirmary Road Tesco a few weeks back. Plenty of other spaces nearby. "Ah," I thought, "They're going to arrest a shoplifter or something." No, just using the cash point. Not disabled officers, using a cash point whilst on duty.

The exemptions from speed limits are under the Road Traffic Regulations act 1984 section 87 and there also some exemptions for them to contravene traffic signs.

If they weren't able to have these exemptions they would never be able to catch anyone for example they see a car in the distance they want to stop assuming its travelling at the speed limit unless they exceeded the limit they would never catch it up. This us apart from the obvious need to get to a scene of a crime or emergengy quickly

but, i still maintain, when not answering an emergency or apprehending an offender - i.e. without blues and twos, they should be treated as a normal motorist, subject to the same rules of the road as the rest of us. if not, it damn well should be.

with blues and twos, other road users are warned of their prescence, thus allowing the police driver to safely exceed the speed limit and pass red traffic lights, etcetera.

without blues and twos (and this is just a hypothetical situation) a pedestrian could step into the road and BAM! two tons of steel, KSI, game over.

if the police driver was adhering to the speed limit, the collision could have been avoided completely, or minor injuries at worst.

speed doesn't kill. inappropriate use of speed kills.