Sir Alex Ferguson to retire in summer

As a mark of respect there will be a minutes applause around the grounds this Saturday in the 96th minute of every game.

It was a watch he wanted before he retired, not now he has retired.

Can't stand Manure, but massive credit to FERGIE what a great manager he has been.

He follows in the footsteps of the great Matt Busby. Manchester United attracts these kinds of managers.

I would be surprised if Moyes gets the job as he has no European experience at that level (Champions League).

My money would be on Mourhino

Man Utd is a global brand and success is key to their plans.

He follows in the footsteps of the great Matt Busby. Manchester United attracts these kinds of managers.

Sorry but surely that's an insult to Liverpool, with Bill Shankly & Bob Paisley especially the latter, 20 trophies in 9 years. It sort of blows Fergie's record right out of the water, he had 26 years at OT. That is no way from detracting what he's done, but it's only fair to mention these other 2 much as I dislike Liverpool.

Paisley's record in 9 years reads as

First Division champions 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983

League Cup 1981, 1982, 1983

European Cup 1977, 1978, 1981

UEFA Cup 1976

European Super Cup 1977

FA Charity Shield 1974, 1976, 1977 (shared), 1979, 1980, 1982

Absolute legend, he has been a credit to English football.

Moyes or Mourinho.

Moyes would be better long term and would need 3-4 seasons to get Man Utd back up to scratch IMO, whether the fans and board have the patience to let him do this is another matter, would be cheaper (not cheap) than Mourinho, done well with signings at Everton, fellaini, jags, jelavic, lescott,, pienaar ect ect. Would he get on with Rooney at OT though?

Mourinho, too greedy and self obsessed for me, more chance of instant success but would come with a huge price tag £1,000,000 per month, would want to buy success, which is not like the man utd we know, I don't think the MU owners would put up with the Mourinho's attitude, I think the job is too big for him in a crazy type of way.

Moyes for me I think.

How does Mike Phelan feel about all this speculation on a new manager, surely as Fergies no.2 for eleven years he must have a shout!

betting has stopped on Moyes becoming the next manager. kenwright has just said the deal hasnt been fully agreed "yet" on him becoming the next utd manager.

good choice long term as opposed to jose who would do a job then flounce off when it got tough.

Dean Saunders anyone :)....................................................

thought not :cool:

Wigan chairman already taunting Everton over prospect of Martinez going to Goodison Park.

What is it with David Whelan? He makes it out that Martinez is some super manager- if he was, Wigan would not be in a relegation fight year after year!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/8700404/Wigan-chairman-Dave-Whelan-Everton-not-big-enough-for-Roberto-Martinez

Sorry but surely that's an insult to Liverpool, with Bill Shankly & Bob Paisley especially the latter, 20 trophies in 9 years. It sort of blows Fergie's record right out of the water, he had 26 years at OT. That is no way from detracting what he's done, but it's only fair to mention these other 2 much as I dislike Liverpool.

Paisley's record in 9 years reads as

First Division champions 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1983

League Cup 1981, 1982, 1983

European Cup 1977, 1978, 1981

UEFA Cup 1976

European Super Cup 1977

FA Charity Shield 1974, 1976, 1977 (shared), 1979, 1980, 1982

I see nowhere in my comments, any intent to insult Liverpool or any other coach. I fully know the record of that great club. Since I don't come from Manchester, I'm allowed to admire Liverpool if I want to, just as much as I abhor Sheffield United. Now if they'd just get rid of the biter.