Felting. Is anyone interested in?

Hello

I'm Xenia, i'm new to this forum so if i posted in the wrong thread please let me know and i will correct it. Not so long ago we (I and my husband) relocated to Sheffield, so i hope to find new friends here. I have an art degree in ceramic but as have no chance to do my ceramic(no facilities) I jumped into felt art and found it fun and challenging.

I just thought may be you also like felting or wanted to try it I will be more than happy to give you a helping hand or to do a master-class FREE, I do it not for money but for chance to socialize in Sheffield community to find people with same interests and hope future friends. :) Do you think it might be interesting? If you don't know wat is felting or wat can be done you can go to my fb page https://www.facebook.com/yoFNCY to have a look or send me a short message ;)

If there are felt artist do you have special felt club? Or felt crafters meetings/parties? I would love to join it and share my experience.

Edited by Siniza

HI Siniza,

I love Feltmaking, there are a few places in Sheffield i can think of, of course there is Wingham Woolworks in Rotherham (Wentworth), and Sew in the City at the Nichols Building does some courses in needle felting, i'm not sure about wet felting.

I have my own unit in the Nichols Building (Shalesmoor) downstairs where I have my fluff! for spinning and felting etc.

I love wet felting then using my felting machine to embellish.

Hi beansforyou,

nice to meet you! Will have a look at these courses though I'm not so much interested in courses as more in people who create felt things. It was quit a surprise for me to find out what things could be done from wool and some of felt works are real piece of art. Many methods your can learn but the best one is that you discovered yourself.

So I would love to hang over with people who like to explore, who sees in felting not only utilizing function but a great tool for creating. And even if they never tried it before but like these things that will be great to meet up and to do felt together. Though I;m a foreigner don't think it will be hard to me to show and explain some methods:)

As for me I can't decide wet or needle felting, I always shift from wet to needle from needle to wet. Though I think you are right wet has more artistic potential more experiments and discoveries. But sometimes I make dolls and it is like sculpting but with a needle. Felting machine sound interesting in my country I've seen only factory felting machines for making shoes and carpets. :)

I would love to learn about felting I work with adults with learning disabilities and this looks like a great sensory activity

I would love to learn about felting I work with adults with learning disabilities and this looks like a great sensory activity

Hi Julie,

Nice to meet you. I'm new to this forum so can't send messages yet, so may be you can send me message how can I contact you.:)

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I've been moving into a larger unit upstairs in the Nichols building. Next to Sew in the City.

Yes I find felting and spinning very relaxing, and being able to create items that are useful and personal to me from a natural product is lovely.

I would like to have a go at felting. I love the toy animals i have seen made that way. It is surprising what you can do with wool.

I would like to have a go at felting. I love the toy animals i have seen made that way. It is surprising what you can do with wool.

Sent you pm

Sent you pm

Sent u reply x

Hello,

I'm interested in felting, is there a class that I could join?

Hi I have a son with learning difficulties and is visually impaired he has done some felting at Henshaws in Harrogate and would like to do more of this he will have his own workshop. I would be very interested in learning more with him. Could I have more information please.

If it's wet felting your wanting to do then you really don't need any training, it is very simple and only uses simple equipment you probably already have apart from the wool.

There are tons of videos on youtube for free to give you ideas.

All you need is hot and cold water, an old towel, bubble wrap, soap (olive oil is best) but you can use any Soap. and you choice of wool, Merino felts quickest, others have a harder finish such as Jacob.

Check out Ravelry and youtube for inspiration and have fun!