Licensees of Three Merry Lads, 1837-present

Hi

We are currently investigating the license holders for the three merry lads, I've spoken to customers, googled stuff, been to the Sheffield Archives and will be hoping at some point to go over to Wakefield archives. I've added the list so far, if you've any name or dates or anything to add we'd be most grateful. We'll actually shout you a free pint if you give us accurate information. :) Thanks

And please, this thread is for historical research purposes, we do value your feedback but there is a time and a place; feel free to start a new thread, message us or call us on 01142302824 if you wish to tell us how poor or great the pub currently is;

Pre 1900 Unknown :roll:

Owned by Hooson Brothers

1900 Thomas Sterland

Owned by Ind Coope

1903 Walley Swift

1903 Fred Marsden

1921 William Ellis

1942 Edwin Leslie Ellis

1948 Wilfred Hall

1948 - 1962 unknown :roll:

1962 Wings

1969 Bill & Cath Harris

1969- 1981 unknown :roll:

1981 or 1982 Gaunt

early 90's Allen & Judy (not sure of surnames) :roll:

1997 John Savage

2007 Pete Lightfoot

Up to now this is what i have found

three Merry Lads 610 Redmires Road, S10 1951 2 Wilfred Hall

1937, 38, 39, William Ellis

1942, 44 Edwin Leslie Ellis

Three Merry Lads

610 Redmires Road, S10

Open 1937 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

1937 William ellis

1938 William Ellis

1939 William Ellis

1942 Edwin Leslie Ellis

1944 Edwin Leslie Ellis

1948 Wilfred Hall

1951 Wilfred Hall

taken from

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/7031-pub-updates/page-41?hl=%2Bthree+%2Bmerry+%2Blads#entry97055

Edited by kidley

Hello, there is listed on the 1891 census a John Richards publican along with his wife and family & boarders at Three Merry Lads Redmires, in the previous census he is listed as a farmer living at Redmires - there is no reference to the pub in this census (the Grouse and Trout is listed as indeed it is in 1891 too). In 1881 he has four sons, maybe one of them died and he opened the pub sometime in the 1880's and named it after his sons?

Dave Wing was a friend of mine way back in the early 60's. I think he had a brother, Pete ?? I believe Dave died quite recently. I think the Wings were running the pub from 1961.

I know for sure 2 friends of mine,Barry & Clare Bidwell (who have now got The Crown next to the dog track) were in there in 1993.I don't know for how long though.Sorry.

1969 Bill & Cath Harris

1969- 1981 unknown

1981 or 1982 Gaunt

Bill and Cath were still there more or less right up to the time that John Gaunt took over. Didn't think it was that early in the '80's but it could have been. John Gaunt was still there in 1995 or 1996 as that's when I took up golf and borrowed his golf clubs. I know he left very soon after this as I still have the clubs that I couldn't get back to him :)

Sheffield and Rotherham Independent

17 Jan 1870

BREACH OF BEERHOUSE LAWS.—Elizabeth Marsden,

landlady of the “Three Merry Lads” beerhouse, Red-

mires road, was charged, on the information of Sergt.

West, with having her house open for the sale of beer

during illegal hours, on Sunday, the 9th instant.....

The sergeant stated that on the day named, at a

little after twelve o’clock in the morning, he went to

the house of the defendant, and there found thirteen

men drinking. The defendant stated that five of the

men were her relations, but the Bench considering

that this was no defence, fined her 40s and costs.

[On January 22nd six men were fined for drinking out of hours on the same occasion.]

1871 census

piece 4666 folio 58 page 2

Lodge Moor

Elizabeth MARSDEN Head Wid 57 beerhouse keeper bn Castleford YKS

Mary Ann MARSDEN Dau Unm 15 ‘beerhouse keeper daughter’ bn Sheffield

Hugh

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 01:50 ----------

23 Dec 1876

A PIGEON-SHOOTING HANDICAP will take place

at MRS. MARSDEN’s, Three Merry Lads, Fulwood, on

TUESDAY, Dec. 26th, at 2 o’oclock.

There is some confusion in the newspapers about the name of the next landord. John Thompson RICHARDS had married Lucy MARSDEN, daughter of Elizabeth, in 1862.

20 Dec 1879

MR. JOHN THOMPSON, Three Merry Lads,

Redmires road, will add 10s. to entrance of 5s.,

PIGEON LEGER, FRIDAY, Dec. 26th Shooting com-

mences at Two o’clock.

17 Apr 1880

ON MONDAY, April 19th, a KNUR and SPELL

MATCH will be played at the RACE GROUND, at J.

Thompson’s, the Three Merry Lads, between J.IBBOTSON,

Dungworth, and HENRY MACHEN, Stannington, for £20.

Thirty Rises each. Machen receives 25 scores. Commenc-

ing at Two o’Clock.

22 Apr 1882

INFRINGMENTS OF THE LICENSING ACT.—John Thomas

Edwards, landlord of the Three Merry Lads, Redmires

road, was summoned for having kept his premises open

during prohibited hours,-- fined £2 and the costs.

[Henry Swift of the Sportsman, Redmires Rd was fined at the same time for a similar offence.]

[on 11 May 1882 a customer fined for out of hours drinking, probably on the same occasion. The paper calls the landlord ‘RICHARDSON’]

1881 census

piece 4628 folios 41&42 pages 2&3

Lodge Moor – Three Merry Lads Inn

John T RICHARDS Head Marr 44 farmer of 4 acres born YKS Stannington

Lucy RICHARDS Wife Marr 39 farmer’s wife YKS Castleford

Sarah Ann RICHARDS Dau Unm 15 farmer’s daur YKS Bradfield

[folio 42 page 3]

Henry RICHARDS Son 10 scholar YKS Bradfield

Charity S. RICHARDS Son 8 scholar YKS Bradfield

Elizabeth MARSDEN Mother-in-law Wid 68 formerly publican YKS Castleford

---------- Post added 14-05-2013 at 09:49 ----------

It seems that John Thompson RICHARDS was landlord until his death in 1900 when the pub was put up for sale. I found a notice of the sale in the newspaper which I can send you if you PM me an email address.

Also of particular interest is the report of a court case over a disputed right of way in 1888. It was said in evidence that the family of Lucy MARSDEN had owned the beerhouse for '50 or 60 years'. It aslo states that the 1805 Enclosure Award for Sheffield allotted the property to Richard MARSDEN. Again I can send you the report.

I can't find evidence for the name Three Merry Lads before the 1860's in the newspapers.

Hugh

A fantastic response, thanks to everybody who has posted. Looks like I'll have a list in no time!

I am not sure of my facts but I was told the farmhouse owned by the Mardsden family turned it into a beerhouse.

The story goes that Samuel wanted a name for the pub and his wife came up with the name The 3 Merry Lads, their s sons were happily playing in the field.

When the Redmires Dam was built Marsden and his partner who owned the stone quarry on Selborne Road supplied stone for the building works at the dam.

There is another source of information is the lists of private landowners who contributed to the building of Redmires Road, in return for these contributions they were allowed to fence off the moorland which adjoined the road to be converted to farmland.

Maybe a local historian or even a member of the Marden family could verify these hearsay stories

Happy Days! PopT.

I went to Western Road Junior School 1940 - 1945. Graham Ellis was in my class and attended, rain or snow, from the 3 Merry Lads, and to my recollection was never late or absent! And as I understood, he walked! God knows how many miles!