Online time wasters, text speak and illiteracy - grin at this :-)

It does, if you're used to typing properly. For a lot of people they never have to and typing or texting like that is just normal. It takes a lot of effort for me to typ lyk dis n put sum fort in2 how i cn spel evry werd rong, but for some people it just flows naturally :hihi:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

im like you i shorten some words but not all, if im txting i tend to do it like this and use numbers but i cant spell every word wrong on purpose it gives me headache.

i have a friend that types how she talks and omg it is hard to have a conversation with her on fb because she does your example it takes me ages to figure out what she is trying to say.

It does, if you're used to typing properly. For a lot of people they never have to and typing or texting like that is just normal. It takes a lot of effort for me to typ lyk dis n put sum fort in2 how i cn spel evry werd rong, but for some people it just flows naturally :hihi:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yeah, you're right. Writing properly useing predictive text is pretty quick though, I find it a lot quicker than text speak.

The thing is, it's irrelevant how quickly it takes to write the message, if the person who's reading it either can't decipher it, or can't be bothered to decipher it. We're so used to reading standard English, that our brains don't actually have to read each individual letter, or even word sometimes, to understand a sentence. When we're faced with non-standard shorthand, we can't just scan it. My automatic reaction is to give up.

Using text speak should be a capital offence.

Writing using txt spk was born out of necessity due to the character/technology limit and cost of early mobile phones when sending SMS messages.

Now with phones being able to string together upto 10 160 character messages without breaking them up and that most, if not all tariffs offer a great deal of free messages that necessity no longer exists.

Txt Spk is a bastardisation of a great language and should be stamped out. People who insist on using it should be ostracised from the rest of society. Labeled thick and ignorant. (Lets face it, 99% of those that use is are thick and ignorant anyway)

BTW Acroynms like BTW, LOL etc aren't txt spk. Those were taken from the internet.

i upset someone years ago when they where insisting spelling and grammar where no longer important.

my reply was. "will you be fine when they miss spell your giro cheque?"

Look at those two "where"s and that "miss spell".

Biter bit?

Awwww why did it take you soooo long to share!! I was severely depressed in September last year and this would have cheered me up sooooo much!! :D

Look at those two "where"s and that "miss spell".

Biter bit?

I wish I was clever like you Jeffrey to realise that the biter bit the other biter:D

I wish I was clever like you Jeffrey to realise that the biter bit the other biter:D

Be careful what you wish for.