Cycling accident on Abbeydale road last night 05/05/13

you may pay road tax like other vehicle users however that does not make you the sole owner of the highway

No he doesn't

---------- Post added 06-05-2013 at 21:44 ----------

No such thing as road tax.

Edited by maccapacca

Not read every comment but some that I have are a bit harsh leaving a roadside accident is a criminal offence and I m sure if you d just got knocked off your bike taking the reg plate wouldn t necessarily be the first thing on your mind. Yes he gave her £40 was that out of kindness to pay for wheel or because he wanted a quick getaway without any come back. You are supposed to wait for emergency services before leaving scene of an accident just cause he shoved £40 in her hand doesn t make it right.

Two words. Door zone. Keep out of it and stuff what any impatient twonk behind thinks you should be doing and where they think you should be cycling

But you WILL face a barrage of abuse for "being in the middle of the road". Doesn't matter. Your safety comes first.

when I cycle, I stay at the edge of the road to give cars as much space to get round me as possible, that doesn't mean that cars give me space. Some are good and give enough room, others just drive as close as possible.

Just because a cyclist creates room for a door zone, doesn't mean that drivers will as well.

Since cycling it has definitely made me more aware of other cyclists when driving.

Hi all, just wondering if anybody knows if there are any cctv cameras on Abbeydale road... Some idiot opened their door into me, flew good few metres and my front wheel is ruined. Guy gave me £40 for a new wheel and drove off before the paramedic arrived, didn't leave his details or anything. This happened outside Bragazzis at around 10:15. I'm really p*ssed off and want to report it but don't have any details.

Whats your problem?

The driver was good enough to give you 40 quid.

What, now you want to screw him for more?

where theres blame eh :rolleye:

Hi all, just wondering if anybody knows if there are any cctv cameras on Abbeydale road... Some idiot opened their door into me, flew good few metres and my front wheel is ruined. Guy gave me £40 for a new wheel and drove off before the paramedic arrived, didn't leave his details or anything. This happened outside Bragazzis at around 10:15. I'm really p*ssed off and want to report it but don't have any details.

Omg! hope your okay :( x

Many cyclists not all. Some of us get moaned at by motorists who upon seeing a cyclist keeping a distance between them and parked cars are unable to anticipate that they are doing so so to avoid accidents like this.

And we all pay for the roads. :P

Id go along with this.

The other day whilst i was turning left into my drive i almost wiped out a pair of idiots on cycles.

They seemed to think that cutting in on the inside as i was turning was a good idea even though the cars a bus and another cyclist behind me waited patiently for my to finish my manoeuvre.

I blasted my horn and told them what tools they were.

As the cyclist who waited then went by he said to me "they give us all a bad name mate"

Apparently these 2 are well known on that route for taking stupid risks with both their lives and other road users.

Now, if only they were made to have reg info on their bikes like other road users are.

Then they could be traced and prosecuted.

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 10:02 ----------

If I didn't anticipate correctly then the driver who didn't even look before opening the door didn't anticipate at all. I also drive, and I would never do that.

You dont know he didnt look.

Maybe you were going to fast for the conditions?

Whats your problem?

The driver was good enough to give you 40 quid.

What, now you want to screw him for more?

where theres blame eh :rolleye:

There was nothing "good" about the actions of the driver at all. The payment and exit was evasion, and an offence.

There was nothing "good" about the actions of the driver at all. The payment and exit was evasion, and an offence.

No it wasnt.

The cyclist was clearly at least partly responsible and if id been driving the car id have given him nothing.

No it wasnt.

The cyclist was clearly at least partly responsible and if id been driving the car id have given him nothing.

You'd no doubt be complaining that the cyclist was riding in the middle of the road if she'd been further out.

You'd no doubt be complaining that the cyclist was riding in the middle of the road if she'd been further out.

Now why would i do that?

like all cyclists obviously you didnt anticipate correctly!! car owners can open their doors you know and we do pay for the roads:P

I trust you're not one of the drivers who complain about cyclists using the lane properly and staying clear of the car-door zone then?

Oh, and everyone pays for the roads. There is no such thing as "road tax".

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 11:45 ----------

Can i ask why you were riding so close to the car to be in the ,line of fire when the driver opened their door .?

Maybe Toad of Toad Hall was driving behind him, objecting to his use of the lane?

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 11:49 ----------

when I cycle, I stay at the edge of the road to give cars as much space to get round me as possible, that doesn't mean that cars give me space. Some are good and give enough room, others just drive as close as possible.

That's a dangerous way to cycle. Please get Cyclecraft out of the library or take a Pedal Ready course and start using the lane.

---------- Post added 07-05-2013 at 11:50 ----------

Since cycling it has definitely made me more aware of other cyclists when driving.

Of course! People should be required to cycle on the road as a condition of obtaining and renewing a driving licence.