Cycling accident on Abbeydale road last night 05/05/13

I smell a compo claim. Accidents happen, be a man and get over it.

Think you usually find someone called Lucie is a woman. I am the first to say cyclists are a pain on the road but it is not always possible to leave the width of a car door when overtaking a parked vehicle and a motorist with common sense would look in their wing mirror before opening their door, If it had been another car passing they would have at best a new door needed on their car and at worst if they had had the door pillar twisted by the impact the real possibility of their car been written off and paying for damage to passing car. No wonder he gave the poor lass £40 and did a runner, it is actually illegal BTW to leave the scene of an accident

I can see how annoyed you are but let,s face it, in this where there is a blame there is a claim culture is it surprising he scarpered? He did pay £40 so not that selfish but now if I could get away with it I would. Not proud of it but it is the way society is.

The times I had my car damaged in car parks and they have let me pay out of my hard earned wages for their damage. Now, if I ever damage a car or anything else and no one is looking I am off! The saving will help pay for the damage I have had to pay for in the past. Not proud to admit it but to many greedy selfish something for nothing people out there.

I had a motorist knock my mirror off in March and I caught him. He was so sorry (although I had to chase him to stop) and he said get a new mirror and ring me, I will come round with the cash that day. So next day £90 later I ring him and guess what? No such number. But he had a sign written builders van and my fella when he finds it will be knocking his mirror off, fair enough? What goes around comes around.

Hope you are ok and the £40 pays for the damage.

Hope you are ok ,not too bruised . God there are some very unhelpful people on here .

Depends - if you hit a hole in road and fall off your bike which then hits car or have to swerve if a child runs in front of you then it's an accident but if you are riding too close and cannot control bike then it is without due care and attention or if you are cyclng on footpath which is actually illegal then you are culpable for the damage I would have thought

Think you usually find someone called Lucie is a woman. I am the first to say cyclists are a pain on the road but it is not always possible to leave the width of a car door when overtaking a parked vehicle and a motorist with common sense would look in their wing mirror before opening their door, If it had been another car passing they would have at best a new door needed on their car and at worst if they had had the door pillar twisted by the impact the real possibility of their car been written off and paying for damage to passing car. No wonder he gave the poor lass £40 and did a runner, it is actually illegal BTW to leave the scene of an accident

As the driver of the vehicle that let a passenger out in moving traffic and then drove off leaving me found out - they were both charged. If more people could be a little more courtesy to each other........

If however you knowingly damaged a vehicle and refused to pay or left the scene without reporting it to owner you will be liable to pay cost of repair or face prosecution if you don't

If however you knowingly damaged a vehicle and refused to pay or left the scene without reporting it to owner you will be liable to pay cost of repair or face prosecution if you don't

of course, point i am making

It depends if the scratch was done on purpose, if it was a accident and compensation was sought for the damage surely it would a civil matter rather than a criminal matter?

Would leaving the scene of an accident make it criminal.

Hope you are ok ,not too bruised . God there are some very unhelpful people on here .

some of the comments I have read on here have left me astounded at the callousness of some people. I hope that the same does not happen to them because they will get absolutely no sympathy on here it would seem!

There seems to be a culture of "I pay road tax, therefore I own the road" You do not pay road tax solely for the honour of driving on the road. Drivers, please follow the link below.

http://ipayroadtax.com/

Seems to me that the driver has committed two offences here, opening his door without looking and endangering others, and driving off after causing an accident without leaving his details.

My guess would be that he is hiding a third offence, driving without insurance. :suspect:

Any futher threats of violence, swearing or insulting other users will earn whoever does it a ban.

If I didn't anticipate correctly then the driver who didn't even look before opening the door didn't anticipate at all. I also drive, and I would never do that.

Two words. Door zone. Keep out of it and stuff what any impatient twonk behind thinks you should be doing and where they think you should be cycling

But you WILL face a barrage of abuse for "being in the middle of the road". Doesn't matter. Your safety comes first.

Now that's said - totally the driver's responsibility and any court would uphold that. A good idea is to join the CTC (cyclists touring club) for support and legal assistance (and 3rd party insurance if you make an error). Take nothing form a scene except details and (if possible) photographs.

Don't take cash - you may find after the event (as I did after a collision where blame was not disputed) that your cycle frame is damaged, and also as I found after physio sessions and medical assessment, that you have a long term injury