Begging on West Street/Division Street

I agree but we cannot solve the other problems. The only one we can solve is by giving them something they need. And to seperate the genuine from the fakers if we offer food the genuine will take it. I would if I was starving.

Two points:

1: Street beggars often lie about what they need; it's difficult to trust what they say if they claim to be begging for money to buy food, or a bus ticket for example.

2: There are excellent charities working on solving the other problems; IMO you would do more good by donating to Ben's Centre than by giving to somebody begging in the street.

Two points:

1: Street beggars often lie about what they need; it's difficult to trust what they say if they claim to be begging for money to buy food, or a bus ticket for example.

2: There are excellent charities working on solving the other problems; IMO you would do more good by donating to Ben's Centre than by giving to somebody begging in the street.

Politicians lie for votes. Their lies are greater and more criminal because they use it to get power over the whole country.

I have more respect for a lying street beggar than a lying politician.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 10:05 ----------

By the way these lying politicians will cost you a lot more money than a street beggar and they get it just the same way, they begged for your votes.

Edited by dutch

Two points:

I agree with both your points. Firstly I'm not in a position to pursuade them to see the excellent help you mention in point 2. So the only option I have is either give them nothing, buy a big issue (which I have done in the past) or give them food it avoids them using the money for booze.

On a seperate point though is if there is all this help why are we seeing protests about homeless spikes. Surely its protecting people from harrassment when they shop and those in need can seek these charities.

I was homeless for 18 months but I never lowered myself enough to beg. I finally did something about it and found a job and a flat. I won't give beggers a penny because they could help themselves if they really wanted to.

I was homeless for 18 months but I never lowered myself enough to beg. I finally did something about it and found a job and a flat. I won't give beggers a penny because they could help themselves if they really wanted to.

Brilliant well done mate for getting your life on track. And that is proof that people can do something about it. Others sit around whinging about the government and personal circumstances but you took it on yourself to take ownership and sort yourself out. I have a great deal of respect for you.

Two points:

The sad thing is, Vincent, that if the beggar says they need the money for food etc, odds are that they generally dont. The odds are that it will go on booze or drugs.

Theres a fake big issue vendor currently scamming the public down on king street in town, (back of Primark).

He doesn't have a badge, which is a requirement, and only has one (often out of date) issue with him, and usually asks if he can keep it to sell to someone else. He will also ask for money for a bed for the night, which is totally contrary to the terms of contract with the big issue.

Now just because HE is not genuine, does not mean that the other vendors are scammers. Its just the odd one or two that bring the issue into disrepute. Don't buy from a non-genuine vendor:-

The vendors must not sit, (in law, it's technically 'causing an obstruction') and they must have the big issue hi-vis jacket with the logo on.

They must have a big issue badge, with their serial number, clearly displayed, the magazines must have a number written in the space on the cover that corresponds with the number on the badge.

They must not ask for money (aside from the cover price of the magazine) and they must not retain the magazine once the buyer has paid the vendor for the magazine.

If you want to do something that will help someone on the streets, give support whether monetary, or in the form of donations of toiletries, of tins/packets etc to charity via the Cathedral Archer Project, based at the Anglican Cathedral in town. They provide laundry and shower facilities to the homeless, and clean clothing, as well as access to healthcare. The homeless can get a hot meal and a cup of tea.

They are a very worthy charity and do a lot to help those in a desperate situation.

Had a couple experiences this week as it goes. The lad outside Sainsburys, I offered him a sandwich and he refused.

Does anybody remember that woman a few years back who would put on the water works and claim she had lost her purse and has just been to Meadowhall visting, and needs money to get a coach back home in 20 minutes? Well she appears to be back on the scene again.

Had a couple experiences this week as it goes. The lad outside Sainsburys, I offered him a sandwich and he refused.

Does anybody remember that woman a few years back who would put on the water works and claim she had lost her purse and has just been to Meadowhall visting, and needs money to get a coach back home in 20 minutes? Well she appears to be back on the scene again.

Wasnt she a rich daughter of somebody. A sort of rich well groomed version of our 'friend' Gemma.

Wasnt she a rich daughter of somebody. A sort of rich well groomed version of our 'friend' Gemma.

That sounds about right. She was on Furnival Gate around 10pm up to her old tricks

[quote=

Theres a fake big issue vendor currently scamming the public down on king street in town, (back of Primark).

He doesn't have a badge, which is a requirement, and only has one (often out of date) issue with him, and usually asks if he can keep it to sell to someone else. He will also ask for money for a bed for the night, which is totally contrary to the terms of contract with the big issue.

Now just because HE is not genuine, does not mean that the other vendors are scammers. Its just the odd one or two that bring the issue into disrepute. Don't buy from a non-genuine vendor:-

The vendors must not sit, (in law, it's technically 'causing an obstruction') and they must have the big issue hi-vis jacket with the logo on.

They must have a big issue badge, with their serial number, clearly displayed, the magazines must have a number written in the space on the cover that corresponds with the number on the badge.

Would this be a loudish bloke wears glasses and uses the sales pitch" I know am not supposed to do this but blah blah blah" as he tries to sell you the much sought after invisible big issue

Did I read it here. Might have been deleted that that smartly dressed woman is out begging again in the city centre.

I thought she got caught ages ago.

Bottom of London Road.

Two of them yesterday. Ragged, dirty old women squatting on the pavement with a woolly hat for the takings.

It is illegal.

Now, I've never known it when I was a lad. But nowadays, in this modern Britain that we have and this all inclusive modern Europe that we belong too, we have our very own third world examples in what was once our exclusive First world country.

The way to the dogs is ............ this way.