Begging on West Street/Division Street

I've noticed this, and it is quite intimidating.

Thankfully not all are aggressive.

When I have spare cash I will buy food/a drink but I never give money (just my personal scruples there)

The ones that really infuriate me at the moment are the ones working the tram stops.

Last week I ended up letting two trams go by because they were packed, and being on crutches at the mo didn't want to fight my way through to the disabled seats and was approached three times by the same person, who was obviously waiting for people to arrive and then walking the queue. After the second time I watched how many people gave him cash and the third time he asked I politely asked whether the "at least 4.50 he'd gotten from the last walk up the queue wasn't enough to get his hot drink he was asking for?"

Got a really dirty look as he realised his game was up (for now) and he left. As Itrytoplease said - some are making a fair living out of it!

The days of asking for a bit of loose change are long gone. Look at charity adverts on TV, they're all wanting fivers/tenners! Cheeky greedy gits.:P

I was on a train the other day over hearing a team leader for these charity people who stop you in town,.. The team leader was gearing his workers up for the day aiming to stop 300 per day each,engage conversation with 45.... And sign up 15 of those... This will earn them a target of £100 commission per day.

The team leader was babbling on about promotion through the company and he himself flies out to Poland once a month and will be working in Newyork every other week upon his next promotion too... Enticing his team.

Chances are it's not a refreshing drink he's after :(
Oh I know that! But it does allow you come out the situation having tried to do good and also makes the guilt trip angle that he/she is trying to do redundant.

They've got a nerve sitting next to the machine and expecting someone to hand over a tenner, minimum.

Should have said "yeah I've got a tenner you can have, do you have my £9.50 change?"

GOT A NERVE WHY THERE JUST USING COMMON SENSE THERE NOT GOING TO STAND BY A SKIP AND BEGG ARE THEY:gag:

Can't knock em for trying. I don't give a penny to the homeless because the one I do end up giving to could be the one who goes to a nice warm house at the end of the day.

Saw one in New York just before Christmas, in a wheelchair outside a Starbucks, ignored him as I walked in, as I came out behind another customer (who popped a dollar in his cup) he looked at me and commented that not everyone ignores the homeless. My hot chocolate eased the pain.

I never ignore anyone homeless as that's just rude, but I will only give money to those selling the Big Issue as I know that those people are legit and are taking positive action to improve their situation.

I never ignore anyone homeless as that's just rude, but I will only give money to those selling the Big Issue as I know that those people are legit and are taking positive action to improve their situation.

Chortle!!!!! :hihi::hihi:

Let me rephrase :D

More legit than someone called Gemma on crutches who never has quite enough money to get the bus to the hospital.

Don't underestimate their clever if not obvious tactics as most are skilled in their chosen lifestyles. This activity is quite common and often work...YEAH WORK...in teams around Cities. It is quite shocking to see but try to understand their lifestyle and ways and means for their survival. All aspects of alternative communities are upgrading their techniques to manipulate the most possible from the system they feel they don't belong to or care to.

I was approached yesterday outside the Town Hall and to be honest I felt quite intimidated. I refused to give any money to him. I fund raise for lots of charities and donate to my local food bank quite often. This I feel is a much better way of helping people.

They have been rotating for about 3 months now outside the atm machine at Sainsburys on London road but they excelled themselves the week before last. There were two round the corner by Sainsburys windows. One sat down with a dog and one stood up plus the one at the atm and another one to the right near the old guitar shop.

Hello to M.A....you maybe seen as a vulnerable target especially if it shows in your outward appearance. Aquired skills of such detection is part and parcel of their survival techniques.