Begging on West Street/Division Street

The best one I ever saw was in New York. He had a sign saying, why lie,I need a drink. He got more money than the others,I think,for his honesty.

There is a guy in Times Square who has a sign which says: Need money for weed. Fair play to the guy, he was raking in more than others who were less honest.

My mum was stood at hillsborough tram stop on Tuesday and a young bloke asked her if she smoked when she said no he then said he had some tobacco to sell. Then asked her if she could spare some cash cos he had lost his bus pass. Mum told him no we struggling ourselves

When they ask me if I've got any spare cash I say I don't know, I haven't finished spending yet.

When i worked in town, there was a homeless guy that slept in the doorway of my work place. We'd have to move him on every morning when we got there but he was lovely. He'd return at the end of the day and help me carry the heavy post bags down to the post office. Not once did he ever ask any of us for money. I always used to give him a bit of cash on pay day though and he was so grateful.

I knew he was genuine, but anyone else I won't give money to. I'm willing to buy them a bit of food and drink and I'm a sucker for the ones with a dog! (I buy food and biscuits and sometimes blankets for the dogs!) But I won't give them cash.

There is a guy in Times Square who has a sign which says: Need money for weed. Fair play to the guy, he was raking in more than others who were less honest.

The guy we saw was in Times Square.

Hi,

Without sounding too much like an idiot! I was at the cash machine outside sainsburys today on Division St and there was a homeless person begging outside right next to the cash machine. When he asked me if I had any money it was bloody obvious that I had as I'd just drawn some out and he saw me do it! When I got my phone out I checked the time but when I didn't give him any money he said "you can afford to keep an iPhone but can't afford to help the homeless" I didn't respond and walked off, I've noticed this more and more with the homeless and using spots next to cash machines to beg! Is it just me that finds it slightly intimidating?

It's emotional blackmail, and they shouldn't be doing it

Let me tell you a story lewisty....

I used to keep a pound in my pocket for anyone who asked me, 20 years ago

Until I had a discussion with a beggar, one rainy afternoon....

Turns out he was earning more than I was at the time! He had 4 cans of lager and an MP3 player under his dirty sleeping bag...

1. He viewed begging as his 'job'

2. He got more money when it was raining and when he looked the most sad and pitiful - so played on these

3. He would go home with pockets full of pound coins

I no longer give to beggars on the street, especially if they are young, fit men. They are the ones who are the most manipulative and aggressive in their tactics.

I now donate only to homeless charities

I've noticed this, and it is quite intimidating.

Thankfully not all are aggressive.

When I have spare cash I will buy food/a drink but I never give money (just my personal scruples there)

The ones that really infuriate me at the moment are the ones working the tram stops.

Last week I ended up letting two trams go by because they were packed, and being on crutches at the mo didn't want to fight my way through to the disabled seats and was approached three times by the same person, who was obviously waiting for people to arrive and then walking the queue. After the second time I watched how many people gave him cash and the third time he asked I politely asked whether the "at least 4.50 he'd gotten from the last walk up the queue wasn't enough to get his hot drink he was asking for?"

Got a really dirty look as he realised his game was up (for now) and he left. As Itrytoplease said - some are making a fair living out of it!

Good idea offering food and drink it will separate the genuine from the scrounges.

Have you read about the guy in the papers just now?

He begs in London with a Chip and Pin Machine with mobile phone link to collect from those city folk with no cash!

and were's your head been this country's never let any one starve i beg to differ me owd

Ok then whose starved to death because of this country? If it were true the lefties would publicise it and have a field day.

What would Sainsburys do about it?

could be on sainsburys land actually

I always say " I'm sorry I just give a fiver to an old boy down the road five minutes ago".

Have you read about the guy in the papers just now?

He begs in London with a Chip and Pin Machine with mobile phone link to collect from those city folk with no cash!

This guy is George Osborne in disguise. He can't fiddle enough these days to feed his habit........