5:2 Fasting diet - anyone on it?

I'm interested in this too but a little scared of the fasting days. Do you feel faint etc?

I did this last summer time for a few months aswell as going to the gym, and I did drop a dress size.

Starting again from tomorrow, but Im going to do all my measurements too and I am really going to work hard and shift some weight!

Definitely give the 5:2 type of weight loss plan a go, as it's one of the more sensible plans out there. We've just published our first ebook about weight/fat loss: Dump the Diets, Ditch the Scales, Drop the Inches and the following is an excerpt -

"There’s a really simple but highly effective trick to get things moving a bit quicker; it’s called calorie cycling. At the moment, the entire diet industry is shouting from the rooftops about the latest ‘fat-busting’ weight loss wonder: the 5:2 diet or Intermittent Fasting (IF) as it’s also known but this is just another version (albeit a bit extreme) of calorie cycling .

If you’ve not already heard of this plan, it’s very simple; for 2 days per week, you only eat about 500 calories per day, preferably all in your evening meal. For the other 5 days, it’s alleged you can ‘eat what you want’. Sorry, but this claim is utter nonsense.

There are definite health benefits to not eating much for a few days, e.g. improved insulin sensitivity, lower cholesterol, etc. but calorie-wise, if you starve yourself of food one day and stuff your face to busting point the next, you will, at best, not lose any weight and at worst, get fatter - energy in versus energy out is the primary law of weight loss and gain.

In all honesty, we like this idea and we’ve been using a similar type of plan for years. Intermittent Fasting or 5:2 is not really a diet, as it’s simply not eating for two days out of every seven but one of the best things it does is to teach you that being hungry is not life-threatening. Hunger pangs come in waves that last for about 10-15 minutes and once you accept them; that you’re only hungry and not actually starving to death, you finally learn to have greater control of your eating habits.

The downside with it is that it becomes pretty tedious after a while and it can become increasingly difficult to fit into your life, as it’s an all or nothing plan. For example, you have to pick two, non-consecutive days to fast and Monday is usually the first one (after the weekend’s excess). You then decide which day will be the best for the next fast but life often interferes with your plans. Thursday may be the best option but you’re meeting friends for a drink after work that day. Tuesday is out as it’s too close to Monday, so maybe Wednesday is best: nope - no good, you’ve got a business lunch scheduled.

What about Friday? Friday looks ideal, until Thursday comes along and you suddenly get an invite to a birthday party or your boss sends you out of town on business for the day and you realise you can’t possible drive 300 miles up and down the motorway on an empty stomach. Trying to fast at the weekend is futile, (unless you have the social calendar of a leper with halitosis), so it’s start all over again on Monday. All or nothing eating plans don’t last because they are not consistent - you're either fully on the diet or you're not - and to effectively shift your body fat, and keep it off, you have to get consistent".

We have our own version of a calorie-cycling eating plan and if you're interested, just click here

Good luck

the best diets are those that encourage you to raise your awareness and be conscious of both food intake and exercise. 5:2 works well when this is the case

This seems more sustainable than most diets I have read about especially as it is not prescriptive around food groups. As long as it is a lifestyle rath than a quick weight loss win then this seems a great way for some pete to find a healthier weight.

The hypnosis programme I off uses many of the fundamentals here whilst incorporating the craft of reconnecting with eating as a source of enjoy instead endurance.

You will be able to maintain This programme if you allow yourself to enjoy Your food, eat within tolerances of your lifestyle and incorporate a flexibility in the food you choose to offer variety of flavours, mixture of foods and move away from viewing some foods as good whilst a viewing another's as bad.

There are some great psychological tricks you can use to help with portion control, limit snacking and keep your moods stabilised by managing blood sugar levels.

Dave

I'm on day one of the 5:2 diet after reading loads of info about it. Today was my first fast day and I am a bit peckish but I think it's more because I know I've had my calories for today!

I've been googling 500 calorie meal plans ready for my next fast day on Thursday. Going on holiday in 13 weeks and I'm determined to look good in my bikini!

Hey, if anyone's interested here's a straight to the point video that talks about why fasting works and its benefits

The same channel also did one about the facts of losing weight if anyone is a beginner and unsure

anyway hope they help :)

8lbs off in 3 weeks. Its a good one to follow definitely :)

I find never more than 2000Kcal and never less than 1200 works well. It's hard to stick to less than 2000 on free days if you are too limited on fast days.

My Diet advice is tried and tested....Linseed crushed and added to cerial in the mornings (2 tablespoons of it) one tablespoon of chai seed..cut out bread butter and potatos Ive lost 4 stone in 4 months and I have never felt better

This diet exist anyway before it was even written. Some days I've eaten 982 calories and others 2121. If you count calories this diet wouldn't exist.

Anyway in my experience no diet works. I've seen people try everything from fasting to bloody Caveman diets. None have been long term successful.

My slim friends are on the see food diet = eat, move on. It's been around since we evolved and works wonders.