5:2 Fasting diet - anyone on it?

All diets/plans R flawed because they limit foods.

The ONLY successful method 2 weight loss is,

a lifestyle change.

If U don`t put it in, U WON`T put it on !!!

Change UR lifestyle

Hello all!

Just wanted to give you all a little update on my progress on the 5:2 diet.

After a full 24 weeks of this way of life I am thrilled to say I have lost 10kg or 22lbs however you like to phrase it.

It is not the fastest way to drop the pounds but I did have two holidays in this time with no fasting days and I personally believe that slow weight loss is much better.

I have read all the replies above and have smiled to myself, I too was a disbeliever and also thought I could not fast two days a week.

I won't lie, you do get hungry but whats the harm in feeling a little hunger? We panic about the tiniest stomach rumble and there are some many silly diets promoting 5 small meals a day including a handful of seeds. Realistically learning that hunger, for a day, won't kill you and does amazing things for resetting your appetite and also portion control.

And to the person who said "Don't eat bread". Nonsense. I like bread, And carbs. I don't want to give them up. Now I eat them when I fancy, nothing is restricted and I am full after half the amount.

Anyway, if I can help one other person change their negative relationship with food then my task is done. This way of life works and I am sticking to it forever!

Hello all!

Just wanted to give you all a little update on my progress on the 5:2 diet.

After a full 24 weeks of this way of life I am thrilled to say I have lost 10kg or 22lbs however you like to phrase it.

It is not the fastest way to drop the pounds but I did have two holidays in this time with no fasting days and I personally believe that slow weight loss is much better.

I have read all the replies above and have smiled to myself, I too was a disbeliever and also thought I could not fast two days a week.

I won't lie, you do get hungry but whats the harm in feeling a little hunger? We panic about the tiniest stomach rumble and there are some many silly diets promoting 5 small meals a day including a handful of seeds. Realistically learning that hunger, for a day, won't kill you and does amazing things for resetting your appetite and also portion control.

And to the person who said "Don't eat bread". Nonsense. I like bread, And carbs. I don't want to give them up. Now I eat them when I fancy, nothing is restricted and I am full after half the amount.

Anyway, if I can help one other person change their negative relationship with food then my task is done. This way of life works and I am sticking to it forever!

Well done glad its working for you.

It is a lifestyle change! Its a permanent way to live with a maintenance plan for those who do need to lose weight. I actually know people doing this just for the health benefits not the weight loss.

It is called the 5:2 diet but the author is the first to point out that it is a way of life not a quick fix. Read the book and see!

---------- Post added 12-08-2013 at 13:14 ----------

My job is active but not labour intensive like building work.

I leave home at 7.30am and walk the dog for 40mins on my way in to work. I start at 8.30am and finish at 6.30pm and I am on my feet most of the day. I do have time for a lunch time walk - maybe 20-30min- with the dog which I enjoy.

I also stop for a short walk, about 10 mins on my way home, and usually get in about 7pm.

I don't really have time for intensive work outs on my fast days but I know many others who still cycle to work or do gym sessions and report doing well. I deliberately pick my busy work days as fast days as it seems easier to me

I do work-out on my two afternoons off and also sometimes at the weekend but I admit not to fasting then!

It's good to be sceptical not gullible about these new eating ideas and this is quite different to the calorie/point counting that you do at WW/slimming world and NHS diets but it does work and I am far happier 3.5 months into this "lifestyle change" then any other I have tried!

I choose not to start a fad diet that will only last a short period of time. Science has proven that eating more helps. I do wish your friend luck on it though :)

glad I have found this thread

I was told about this diet last week by a friend of mine, she has lost 1 stone in a about 3 months.

This diet sounds perfect for me totally suits my lifestyle..

been the same weight for 3 years now but just need to shift about 1 stone to be at my ideal weight of 11st

I am starting today and looking forward to it.

I have sent for the 5:2 recipe book...it is quite amazing what nice stuff you can have for just 500 calories a day.

Hi Shaznay and welcome to a new way of life. Don't think of it as a diet just a eating management system that will help you long term reduce your appetite and slowly lose weight. It is a gradual process, you might bet magic results in the first few weeks but then your body adjusts and it takes time. It is totally worth a few hunger pangs though and these pass within minutes.

Below I have listed a forum that has many 5:2ers and various adaptations. It is a very friendly forum with advice and stories. I would definitely recommend browsing!

http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/

Good luck and say goodbye to feeling guilty about food all the time xxx

thanks for that posiepaws

on my 4th week and doing great...on a fast day today......the good news is I haven't put a single ounce on over Christmas and since starting have lost 2lbs :)

will deffo have a look at the forum :thumbsup:

I think as far as "diets" go the 5:2 is definitely one of the better ones from what I can tell. There seem to be aspects to it that I incorporate into my weight loss hypnotherapy sessions but obviously this is a conscious process rather than unconscious as with hypnotherapy. I'd be very interested if any of you more knowledgeable about the 5:2 diet had links to any research done on it as a weight control technique.

For sensible, sustainable weight management "Dump the Diets,Ditch the Scales,Drop the Inches" now available as an E book on Amazon.

I've literally started this this week and had my 2 fast days on Monday and yesterday. the first fast day was challenging but the second one was fine, i bought a cheap 5/2 book/guide just to get me going. the problem i have with all other diets is the faffing about. as a busy single mum with two daughters and different eating habits to cater for i simply can't be arsed to faff about with anything wheras this appears to be very straightforward with no real faffing when all you can consume is 500 calories on two days a week. the only thing i'm struggling with is sleeping - i find that i am dreaming about food lol.

Out of interest, how much time do people have to spend working out the calories? I've just downloaded the NHS Couch to 5K running podcasts to try and improve my time, and followed the link from there to the weight loss plan, thinking it might be interesting to try.

Problem is, I cook most of my food from scratch so I would have to weigh or measure each ingredient, add it all up, and weigh each portion I eat to work out the calories. Life is too short!

Do people really do that, or just eat ready meals?

BeckyB I spend very little time worrying about calories but I guess everyone is different!

I am also a fresh food eater, I hate ready meals and find them really salty plus I also usually avoid carbs on my 500kcal days.

I don't eat breakfast or lunch, just have a couple of coffees with a dash of milk. Then I usually eat either chicken or fish with salad or veggies for my evening meal just to keep it simple. I probably only get 400kcal really but occasionally if I am flagging I have a cup-a-soup for 80kcal mid afternoon.

My personal approach is to keep it simple, I don't want to spend a long time dealing with food on my fast days just have a healthy nutritious protein and veggie based meal. My hubby gets the same plus a portion of carbs like new potatoes or couscous. Luckily he likes healthy food!

Once you have done a few fasts or cooked a few small calorie dinners you get a feel for what the calories are! Plus there are tonnes of low kcal recipes online.

I don't calorie count at all on my other days but I make a concerted effort to only eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full! It is not a quick fix by any means but more a way to change your eating habits for the long term and stop you feeling guilty about eating!

Good luck anyway and hope it suits you like me xxx

---------- Post added 04-01-2014 at 09:37 ----------

I think as far as "diets" go the 5:2 is definitely one of the better ones from what I can tell. There seem to be aspects to it that I incorporate into my weight loss hypnotherapy sessions but obviously this is a conscious process rather than unconscious as with hypnotherapy. I'd be very interested if any of you more knowledgeable about the 5:2 diet had links to any research done on it as a weight control technique.

The forum I mentioned above has many who have studied every paper and trial associated with 5:2 dieting. I would post a topic on that and see if anyone can help!

http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/