5:2 Fasting diet - anyone on it?

Hi all

I have just done my first week on the 5:2 fasting diet and have lost 2.5lbs.

I am struggling really to put my faith in it though - especially the days where you can eat freely. I am worried that when they say freely they don't really mean it!!

Just wondered if anyone else was doing the diet, and if they had any long term success with it?

So far I am finding the fasting days easier than I imagined as long as I am busy. And I am not that hungry when I wake up the next day.

I have about 10kg (22lbs) to lose and really want to do it. My exercise is restricted due to my back but I am taking the dog for lots of extra long walks too!

Insight would be great!:)

I don't know this diet but I would advice you to take pictures, mensuration (body-fat if possible as well) to see your improvements and not using weighting scales. Weight is not a good indicator; you cannot know if you are loosing lean-mass, fat or water. Obviously, you don't want to loose lean mass thus if it's the case you should stop your diet.

Just a question about this diet, I am curious. Do you stop fasting when you have reached your goal? If yes, what prevents you from getting back your kg?

You can't eat truly FREELY on the days when you eat- you are limited to 2000 calories I think.

But as for the makeup of the calories that you eat, that is free.

I can't do this one as I need to eat at least twice a day to take medication.

I am eating twice a day on the fast days - I had a hard boiled egg and a banana for breakfast and then a piece of mackeral with salad for dinner! I actually am starting to enjoy the fasting days as I have loads of energy all day!

Have lost just under 5lbs and you are right Zenshu about the measurement thing although I can tell from my clothes that my waist is smaller after fasting.

I don't know what happens when you reach your goal, I think its supposed to be a lifelong thing maybe?!

I haven't bought the official book but just read lots of articles online about it. I guess the real way it works is by permanently reducing your appetite and greed levels!! Portion size is a huge problem for me so if I can shrink my stomach a bit then I am hoping I will feel fuller faster.

Watch this space, but can't believe I am the only one on here doing this diet!!

I am eating twice a day on the fast days - I had a hard boiled egg and a banana for breakfast and then a piece of mackeral with salad for dinner! I actually am starting to enjoy the fasting days as I have loads of energy all day!

Have lost just under 5lbs and you are right Zenshu about the measurement thing although I can tell from my clothes that my waist is smaller after fasting.

I don't know what happens when you reach your goal, I think its supposed to be a lifelong thing maybe?!

I haven't bought the official book but just read lots of articles online about it. I guess the real way it works is by permanently reducing your appetite and greed levels!! Portion size is a huge problem for me so if I can shrink my stomach a bit then I am hoping I will feel fuller faster.

Watch this space, but can't believe I am the only one on here doing this diet!!

i am doing slimming world and have lost 4and half st but am now at a stand still i will keep an eye open to see how u do and then may join u for a while good luck with it x

I've been tempted but I have problems with my blood sugar levels so am always on doctors orders to eat regularly. Plus I work full time in kitchens and work out for 10 hours a week on top of cycling everywhere so I don't think it would be practical.

I usually tend to eat less in the summer anyway, so it normally works out alright

The 5:2 diet is a pretty good plan as diets go. Technically, it's not a diet; you just don't eat for 2 days (or keep it restricted to about 500k/cals on the fast days).

Humans are well adapted to living for a few days without food with no real problems and the health benefits of short-term fasting for improved blood sugar control, insulin sensitively, lowered cholesterol levels, etc are pretty well documented.

One if it's major benefits is that you learn to control your hunger and not to be afraid of being hungry. Hunger pangs come in waves which pass after about 10-15 minutes. When you realise that you're only hungry and not actually dying, you take control of your appetite. However, there is a caveat: this control can sometimes extend to the days when you are meant to eat and the 2 fasting days become 3, 4 or even 5, which potentially, will cause a massive drop in your metabolic rate and thyroid output and your weight loss plateaus.

The 5:2 idea is not new; we've written 100's of eating plans that cycle either carbs or calories on a daily basis and this type of plan is very popular with body builders and boxers who are trying to shed fat prior to a contest as it allows you to drop your calorie intake without really reducing your metabolic rate (which is what most low calorie diets do) and many people actually report an increase in energy levels during a cycling or 5:2 plan.

Long-term, you can stay on it for life and drop to 1 fasting day per week or even every 10 days to maintain your weight loss. Alternatively, you could look at your lifestyle and address the problems that caused the weight gain in the first place.

I just cannot agree more with your last sentence getphysical, that's probably why I have never really understood all these different kind of diets but I'm trying :)

I just cannot agree more with your last sentence getphysical, that's probably why I have never really understood all these different kind of diets but I'm trying :)

Big money in this, especially for the salespeople.

Edited by Shef_Fitness

I have just started this diet this week and I joined the gym last week too so hoping I can finally shift some baby weight!

If you don't know what to do at the gym and if you don't want to take a coach, you can take a look at this website for some workouts: http://breakingmuscle.com/

There is a section with workout for mommy that can be interesting.

A friend of mine has been doing this for a few months now and loves it. He was pretty trim to begin with, but he says it's changed his whole relationship with food and he has a better understanding of how much he really needs to eat and when.

I wanted to try it, but it's not something my partner could do (she's a teacher and fasting days and teaching just aren't compatible). As a kind of halfway house, I've reduced breakfast to a cup of coffee and a piece of fruit, then a light dinner and tea. It's gone pretty well so far, I've lost a decent chunk of weight and I've stopped craving bad food. I'll need to up my exercise levels if I want to lose more, though.