Should children have best friends ?

"A head teacher of a leading primary school has said young children should not have best friends because it could leave others feeling ostracised and hurt. But are people programmed to have best friends?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22383453

Is it april fools again? or has this been taken amazingly out of context by the bbc:huh:

We like the company of others and its likely that of those one will become the one we like to be around more than others due to likes or dislikes or sense of humour or anyway what do teachers know!

"A head teacher of a leading primary school has said

Leave it to the kids to sort out. My daughter has lots of friends, I would love to choose the 'nice' ones, but I just leave it to her.

I imagine that forcing children to play in random groups would result in no bullying and absolutely no resentment of pupils towards teachers at all:hihi:

I am assuming this has been taken out of context though...I hope.

Anyone seen that teachers episode where to stop bullying by the kids they try to stamp out bullying of teachers in cliques-they have to sit in areas according to the colour of their badges:D

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 13:11 ----------

We like the company of others and its likely that of those one will become the one we like to be around more than others due to likes or dislikes or sense of humour or anyway what do teachers know!

took me a couple of rereads but I just got your signature:hihi:

I had 5 'best friends' as a kid. However, I could never be 'best friends' with more than one.

I clearly remember one occassion where one of my friends said "Will you be my best friend?" and I said "Sorry I cant I am Cassys best friend". She was very upset by that :hihi: The group of 6 of us would swap and change best friends every time we fell out (as kids always do) but would never say we had 2 best friends at once. Now and then one of us would stray from the group (traitor) and get a new friend. This was frowned upon and made us angry and we would set about trying to steal one of that kids other friends. The traitors were never allowed back into our Spice Girls tribute band again. Oh fun :hihi:

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I wasn't aware you could have a best friend. You are either friends or not. That said, a person is lucky if they find a single friend in their entire life. You may think you have lots of friends but they are not, they are associates. That's one of the reasons for the saying, "When the muck hits the fan, you find out who your friends are." Friends stand by you forever and put you before themselves.

took me a couple of rereads but I just got your signature:hihi:

Congratulations, you've just changed groups! :)

"A head teacher of a leading primary school has said young children should not have best friends because it could leave others feeling ostracised and hurt. But are people programmed to have best friends?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22383453

Is it april fools again? or has this been taken amazingly out of context by the bbc:huh:

Kids make friends, fall out, make friends, its a never ending cycle but yes I do believe that you can have one "true friend". I've had mine since we were 13 now both almost 55, the wife has been best mates with hers 48 years.

Basically its just the one person throughout all your life, meet and have an unbreakable bond with them. This head teacher is talking total cobblers, and was probably a Billy no mates anyway.

Jeez what next, you're not allowed to smile in case someone somewhere in the world is sad ?

Thinking about it further I think it would be morally wrong to stop the ostracising (is that a word?), you learn a lot from it. The fall outs and make ups are how you learn to behave. You even learn a lot from a little bullying (emphasis on a little). The proudest moment of my childhood was standing up to a bully and then never getting even the smallest snide remark from her afterwards.

we had group of 6 I think, we used to play the famous 5 a lot which may be where "the treatment" started. We decided on a person to ignore and throw sticky grass at etc, they couldn't play with us or anything. Then it would all be forgotten and it would be another members turn:loopy: What was that about? I would love to know what the person who thought up that is doing now.....it might be me:o

Thinking about it further I think it would be morally wrong to stop the ostracising (is that a word?), you learn a lot from it. The fall outs and make ups are how you learn to behave. You even learn a lot from a little bullying (emphasis on a little). The proudest moment of my childhood was standing up to a bully and then never getting even the smallest snide remark from her afterwards.

we had group of 6 I think, we used to play the famous 5 a lot which may be where "the treatment" started. We decided on a person to ignore and throw sticky grass at etc, they couldn't play with us or anything. Then it would all be forgotten and it would be another members turn:loopy: What was that about? I would love to know what the person who thought up that is doing now.....it might be me:o

I can see why my signature caused you some problems

I can see why my signature caused you some problems

we played a game that only allowed for 5 people (one being timmy the dog) whilst there were 6 of us so 1 got "the treatment"!:D