Moving out - Northern Counties

After 18 months I have decided to move out of my flat. This is due my financial and personal situation. I do admit I do enjoy living in my own place however the costs of having my own place is starting to outweigh the benefits of not living my folks. Also I intend to take a working holiday for a year in Australia early next year. I feel that the current economic problems in this country is not going to get any better. :(

I wondered as anyone else got any experience of the process of dealing with Northern Counties when they moved out of their property. Im assuming I need to take EVERYTHING away out the flat before I move out. That is not a problem as most of things in there I'll give to my sister as a late wedding present from me.

I was wondering if they will let me leave the vertical blinds in the flat. I have no use for them as they where custom build for the windows there. Im sure the next tennant might appeciate them also they dont have incure the cost of having their own fitted.

Anything you leave will be removed and thrown out (or maybe taken by the workmen) as far as I know.

My friend left laminate floor in her flat (this was council mind you) and some light fittings - they removed them and billed her for it

Better off taking it down and giving it away to either someone you know, or a charity maybe x

Yup, they will bill you for "clearance".

Shame really as the new people would probably prefer the choice of keeping the blinds to save a little cash.

These things can soon be matched. People moving ins and outs. Young lad I know has just got his first house. Between friends/family and neighbours he is fully furnished now I think. I've some stuff piled up ready to take round to his, and a few other neighbours have too.

Advertise on here. I'm sure you can give stuff away to a good home.

Charity is a good idea too as Leah says.

Hopefully the council will let you leave the blinds. I think if I were to move I would much prefer to exchange and swap possessions wherever possible to save faffing about.

Ok I'll get rid of everything. Its a shame really. Im rather leave stuff behind for the next tennant especially if it saves them money.

The majority of stuff will either get given to my sister (she owns a house) and she is jealous of my furniture I got. Or sold on ebay, gumtree etc. I was tempted to put the lot in storage but to be honest I dunno what I'll be doing in 2015. I might meet someone in Australia and want to stay there etc.

The funny thing is when I moved in the workmen cut of the wire to the sky dish and filled in the hole in the wall. Lucky there was a enough slack in the wire to just pull enough through and connect a new wire on to it. lol

Edited by moooo

Is it one of the flats on hyde park ?

Maybe you could even give them to a neighbour if the flats and windows are all the same sizes? x

Is it one of the flats on hyde park ?

Nah Im living at Norfolk Park. Its not bad place. Everyone who has visited as commented to stay I got a nice place. I'll admit I will miss it alot. :cry:

To be honest I know the rent is cheap (compared with private sector) but the recent increases over the years hasn't helped. Plus all the bills and cost that come with having your own place.

In addition Im not happy in Sheffield. I was born and bred here for 30 years. Hence I feel I need to take a working holiday aborad for a year. The funny thing Im actually giving up a stable job to work abroad

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 00:19 ----------

Maybe you could even give them to a neighbour if the flats and windows are all the same sizes? x

I'll ask to be honest they tend to keep themselves to themselves. Or sometimes smoking the "herbal" stuff outside. lol

To be fair to them they are ok. They are polite enough to say hello when i bump into them from time to time

Edited by moooo

Not far from me then at Wybourn.

Norfolk Park is a lot different from what it used to be in the tower block years, i wouldn't object to living there.

One last question. Lets say I did return to the UK in 2015. Im assuming i'll have to reapply to Northern Counties for a flat. Thats assuming if there any available which I seriously doubt. Will working abroad count against me when I reapply? Also do I need to inform Sheffield Homes. Im on their waiting list but haven't bothered bidding since I had this flat.

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 00:26 ----------

Not far from me then at Wybourn.

Norfolk Park is a lot different from what it used to be in the tower block years, i wouldn't object to living there.

Unfortunately some people think its still like the tower block days. My folks is one of them. They weren't too pleased when I told them I was moving there. I got no problems living here. (touch wood)

Edited by moooo

I think once you are registered, you stay on the list, with waiting times starting again from the last time you took a property, you shouldn't have to reapply

I think once you are registered, you stay on the list, with waiting times starting again from the last time you took a property, you shouldn't have to reapply

Thank you for the info. Just now need to pop into their office and hand the letter to them. I admit I will find it hard doing this. Just feels like im going into the unknown.