Social Media Marketing for Businesses

I recently discovered this video:

. It's basically a seminar by Gary Vaynerchuk, an extremely charismatic entrepreneur and expert in 'New Media' marketing.

I was just wondering what other people's opinions and experiences have been regarding Social Media marketing. Has it worked or has it been a waste of time? Have you ever tried it?

Does Gary Vaynerchuk make a good point in what he preaches?

Please, do let me know!

I wouldn't use Facebook to find a company. Why would you use facebook/twitter for marketing unless you were marketing to morons?

I wouldn't use Facebook to find a company. Why would you use facebook/twitter for marketing unless you were marketing to morons?

I think the idea is that you can easily find and target customers that would be interested in the products that you sell. People who use Social Media are giving out more information about themselves than ever before, which is great for businesses to target.

I agree that people don't search for companies or products through Social Media, but there are other means of grabbing their attention.

It all depends on what you are selling. I started following the guys at NL Wall Art after a post was briefly put on here to help drive twitter followers. It was, for some unknown reason, removed but due to following them on twitter I have purchased a lovely piece of wall art. Without Twitter I would not have know they existed or seen their website.

I agree it is not for all businesses, I don't believe it would work for mine and have not bothered with a Facebook account as all my work is B2B. Cunsumer based sales though is where it does have its place.

If you are selling to consumers, Facebook is very important. If you sell to other businesses, it is less relevant. I used to be a big fan of LinkedIn for market intelligence...but it now gets bogged down with everyone endorsing every man and his dog.

In recent times, Twitter has become the dominant source of market intelligence for my business (which operates in the business to business (B2B) sector)...as long as you only 'follow' those that matter to you.

Someone just tweeted: "What a bloody brilliant website: http://www.nlwallart.co.uk @NLWallArt I'm very pleased you started following me, what a great discovery!". This happened literally 25 minutes ago! A bit weird considering this thread!

But I agree that different sites have different advantages to who you're aiming to and what your business is. I may need to read up a bit more on LinkedIn though to see if it would be beneficial to us.

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 14:31 ----------

It all depends on what you are selling. I started following the guys at NL Wall Art after a post was briefly put on here to help drive twitter followers. It was, for some unknown reason, removed but due to following them on twitter I have purchased a lovely piece of wall art. Without Twitter I would not have know they existed or seen their website.

I agree it is not for all businesses, I don't believe it would work for mine and have not bothered with a Facebook account as all my work is B2B. Cunsumer based sales though is where it does have its place.

Thanks for the kind words too Paul! We really appreciate it.

Like it or not, social media is the latest trend/craze (whatever you want to call it) and it's here to stay. Although I agree that social media wont fit into every company's marketing strategy, if you are selling to consumers, you need to be on Facebook, Twitter, etc to ensure you are reaching the widest audience possible...best of all, it's free!

Social media should basically be implemented to support your business message/brand, not necessarily to force the hard sell.

Most famous social networking sites are Facebook and Twitter. But I mostly prefer Facebook for marketing my business. It's totally helpful for my business.

Has anyone had any success with any of the more 'obscure' social media sites? Instagram? Pinterest? Behance? Foursquare? Vine? Stumbleupon?

I recommend you try Google+. Google is busy integrating all of its platforms, so you'll get local-social visibility in the future, bringing local customers' friends to your premises, and social visibility for e-commerce.

Also, check out Creative Boom. I think you'd fit right in there and get some extra exposure. :)

Just started using Pinterest, which will be using to promote our blogs, also on Vine but not got to grips with it yet!

Does anyone else find on Pinterest, you click on Infographics the most?

I've personally never got my head around Pinterest to be honest but I've heard it's pretty effective for image-heavy content.

I can see Vine being a good tool for short, arty videos, but I'd presume that it's less direct (i.e. can't click on links). But they're just my thoughts anyway!