DLA appeal advice please

I helped a friend fill in her DLA renewal forms and its come back as refused, so now has to go to appeal, a situation I've never been in before so just looking for some advice over what happens next?

She's over pension age, so is not affected by PIP. She has arthritis, a hernia, had 2 hip replacements, can't walk unaided and is prone to blackouts.

The time before, I helped her fill the forms out and she got it no problems. She very sensibly photocopied these, and when it came to renewal time, as not much had changed, I used these for the basis of the renewal.

She can't understand why she's been refused and neither can I, if you saw her walking you'd know exactly why she applied for DLA in the first place! She's in so much pain and relies on a stick for getting around, but always has someone with her in case she stumbles or blacks out, something that has happened frequently, often resulting in her being hospitalised.

I'm seeing her Friday, as I think she has been asked to fill some other forms out, but just wondered if anyone can give me any indication of what will happen now, so I can try and reassure her a bit?

When did you return the DLA form?

When did they give you the result?

Did you go for an Atos medical interview?

A couple of months ago

About a week ago

No, she wasn't asked to, she was asked for a report from her doc which she did and he supported her medical issues as I said above

A couple of months ago

About a week ago

No, she wasn't asked to, she was asked for a report from her doc which she did and he supported her medical issues as I said above

Is she over 65

found a link for you

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Disability-Living-Allowance.htm

Edited by sand_dollars

Thank you sand dollars, I will check if it could be related to age, although the letter she has makes no mention of it. That link just substantiates to me that she's eligible - the mention on supervision in case of dizzy spells or falling for one thing!

it is thought that they reject all claims. you need to appeal and chances are it will be refused again. tribunal is the way.

many applicants have had to go down the long drawn out process but those who are genuinely entitled will be awarded the benefit to help them support their selves.

I'd suggest going to a C.A.B. and talking to them.

Its either that or become an M.P. as they seem to get loads of cash way and above what I think they should get.

it is thought that they reject all claims. you need to appeal and chances are it will be refused again. tribunal is the way.

many applicants have had to go down the long drawn out process but those who are genuinely entitled will be awarded the benefit to help them support their selves.

They do reject claims as a matter of course so pursue your claim with the help of the C A B. I was told this by some one that works for the gov who gave me the forms for my partner.

He was bang right and her claim was rejected so we passed the claim on to her social worker. she now gets the upper and lower levels.

Hope that helps

mums just gome through the same an won, there trying to wein out the not so truthfull i think, but mum used the CAB so cant hurt getting an extra perspective to your case