Unemployed and the nasty Universal Credit. what will happen?

1/. Let's be sympathetic, and let lots of people into the country;

2/. Let's be economically rational, and not waste money making anything here we could import cheaper;

3/. Let's not waste time and money on trainees, when we can hire fully qualified folk from somewhere else.

Then we will have imported extra workers, and exported the jobs.

Jolly sensible and rational program, what?

Well put, but

You forgot that we apparently need these extra workers to pay for old people and because the British are too lazy to work. :rolleyes::)

Today, my daughter, after 19 years working for the same firm, has been given 'notice of redundancy', after trying to work whilst caring for a severely disabled child. She wants to work but aside from myself, who is also disabled and my mum..a very elderly grandparent, there is no support out there to help with my grandchild. I'll wait to comment on living with the realities of Universal Credits!!!!

If the redundancy is related to her performance (due to caring for a disabled child) and not to the job being discontinued then she'd have a case for complaint.

She has been working though, so now she needs to find a new job.

---------- Post added 01-05-2013 at 07:38 ----------

If there are so few jobs around, why would anyone immigrate here from elsewhere, there won't be a job for them when they arrive.

Their needs to be jobs for this to work though ....

There are, what you really mean is there needs to be nice cushy jobs for those who squandered their education as they will not do certain jobs.

I don't see the problem with the basic principal of Universal Credit, you get the same around of money each month - just paid as a lump sum.

Problem is like Mecky says it won't work right, people will go unpaid for weeks, others will get paid 3X a week - then have everything taken back plus a months money.

Basicly I don't trust them to be able to make it work, because the current system is rubbish.

I don't see the problem with the basic principal of Universal Credit, you get the same around of money each month - just paid as a lump sum.

Problem is like Mecky says it won't work right, people will go unpaid for weeks, others will get paid 3X a week - then have everything taken back plus a months money.

Basicly I don't trust them to be able to make it work, because the current system is rubbish.

The current system is not "rubbish" in the sense; it delivers benefits to the needy on time the majority of cases. I admit that new claims can be a beggar, but that is down to staff shortages.

It will mean a completely new computer system that will sit alongside the current one, thus slowing servers down. UC is currently being "trialed" in an area of Manchester if memory serves, and is only open to single people with no dependents & a nice clean easy claim.

They have to get the software spot on, as they will be replacing , IS, JSA and lots of others, that all have their own independent access for staff for said benefits.

It will be rolled out when they have the tweaks ironed out, don't expect plain sailing, as is said people will have to get used to monthly payments instead of fortnightly, very rare to even see a weekly payment nowadays (if any).

Lots of people had to do with that in the 80's when firms phased out weekly pay packets, and told staff that they would be better off having it paid into a bank monthly or BS. I worked at Jacobs when this happened and we were offered £50.00 to go to this method of payment.

It will be running on new servers.

It will be running on new servers.

Not in the interim, it will not have stand alone servers as their comms rooms don't have room for new servers, and the servers they have now are old & rickety.

Not in the interim, it will not have stand alone servers as their comms rooms don't have room for new servers, and the servers they have now are old & rickety.

Why would the servers have to be physically located in the same room?

And you know this how?

Dont want to start WW3 on this subject, but why do certain sectors of the population that are "unemployed" feel the need to complain about changes to the system, when their ultimate goal should be getting "off" the welfare system bus, and joining the ranks of the working population?

It seems the government (no matter if you agree with them or not) are hell bent on making the welfare system so unattractive, that people would better off taking a medial job than claiming the newly introduced "Universal Benefit". We have all seen the newspapers showing people with 20 kids getting £1000,s in benefits, and equally have seen genuine people struggling to cope, but at the end of the day, it seems the general idea is to get more people earning and spending to get the country back on some sort of even ground.

I dont agree that that anyone should be better off on benefits than working, and the old chestnut of that there are only poorly paid jobs, so im better off on the dole etc has now been well and truly trodden on.

Will this new system get the workshy off their bums, and into work, and help the truly needy? If the new system dosent buy the lager and placepots, I think it might just be a step in the right direction, and I hate the Tories!.the

They are complaining/worrying because they are the ones that are using the service. Personally i dont like the idea mainly because of the "bugs" that will need to be worked out during its first few months. there are errors that occur even now with the current system mainly due to manual errors. ok we all know mistakes happen but when that mistake can effect a persons access to money for food and bills for their family it becomes a concern. I worry this will get worse with the new system. Right now we are just about holding our head above water but one messed up/late payment could throw a spanner into our finances as bills will end up with late charges added on that we could not afford.

I got made redundant 8 weeks ago and i hate going to the job centre i hate the fact that i dont currently work and i am the kind of person that has to work otherwise i feel unvalued, this is re enforced by trips to the job centre for various things on average im there twice a week and each time i leave feeling depressed, deflated, useless and like im an inconvienience. I job search twice a day on various websites and through papers, i take cvs and cover letters to shopping centres, sheffield centre, crystal peaks, rotherham centre and doncaster centre too and i have over 11 years experiance and various qualifications in my field. I have had my cv updated and have had job centre sessions designed to help with interview skills and cover letter writing yet despite all this i have only had 2 interviews.

I have seen and heard various opinions on this subject and it seems most that agree are those that are in work but i have to question if they could imagine themselves using this "improved" service would they still be in favour? And to be honest is there any point complaining about it anyway its going to happen its just a case of when not if.

Are you working or have you worked on this project?

I haven't, but I've never worked on a project of this scale that didn't spec new servers and hadn't done some load analysis and a very detailed server and logical architecture design to cope with that load.

I'd hope that the servers for this sort of thing are actually all virtualised now, ideally in some sort of clever elastic computing environment (the sort of thing that all the big players are happy to provide) where capability scales with demand.

Are you working or have you worked on this project?

I haven't, but I've never worked on a project of this scale that didn't spec new servers and hadn't done some load analysis and a very detailed server and logical architecture design to cope with that load.

I'd hope that the servers for this sort of thing are actually all virtualised now, ideally in some sort of clever elastic computing environment (the sort of thing that all the big players are happy to provide) where capability scales with demand.

Not worked on it either but from what I know of the system it interfaces to many other systems at HMRC and DWP and others too. Not all of the existing systems are going to be running on new kit and of course we know that if a system has mission critical interfaces to other systems it is constrained by those interfaces and the kit behind them, in terms of quality of service, service levels and availability.

I reckon even if it is running on a new platform that bypassblade is right given the dependencies on other systems that most likely will be chugging away on older kit.