Advice on extension

This whole thread fills me with doom and despair, we are currently waiting for quotes from 3 builders all who came round before Christmas and seemed interested. Guess what? No quotes yet in spite of being hassled. Am beginning to think we'll have to start all over again, and this FMB place doesn't seem to be the place to start. I know I need a builder with a good reputation, references and being a member of the relevant bodies but I just can't get hold of them. Any help?

This whole thread fills me with doom and despair, we are currently waiting for quotes from 3 builders all who came round before Christmas and seemed interested. Guess what? No quotes yet in spite of being hassled. Am beginning to think we'll have to start all over again, and this FMB place doesn't seem to be the place to start. I know I need a builder with a good reputation, references and being a member of the relevant bodies but I just can't get hold of them. Any help?

Sorry to hear of your experience. Like I have stated previously the FMB is NOT a cast iron guarantee. Builders do have to meet a certain level of competence to be admitted but once this is done no further checks are made.

I take it you have all the drawings, planning permission and building regulations in place? If so there really is no excuse for not providing an estimate within 10 days.

Also all work should be undertaken with a contract and schedule of works drawn up between the parties. This quite simply ensures that you, the customer, know EXACTLY what you are receiving.

Like FYTC recommends get everything in writing and research your builders,30,000 is a lot of money.Do not end up with no builder and a half done extension.

We had a number of quotes, got references, schedule of works, as soon as this is refined for some minor changes I will write a letter to the builder agreeing to the terms, cost and details of how we want the work to be carried out back. Our friend is a solicitor and stated this is as good as a contact.

The FMB web site is as good place to start as anywhere. We just got a list off them after telling them how much we thought it might cost and the type of project. We got a long list of builders back. The architect then sent out lots of drawings and we got back lots of quotes.

The FMB web site also offers good advice how chose a builder, and a sample contract. If they don't agree to the things that the web site suggests then I would be a bit suspisious.

Oh yes. Remember to keep some money back for snagging. Very important if you want them to come back. I am tempted to buy the FMB issurance. More for the value of it if we sell the house than anything.

The architect missed some things that I have had to pick up but as soon as they were pointed out they were very helpful. Saved us a lot of hassle with the spec and getting quotes for things.

I have tried to get as many things sorted out in advance as possible as this will save problems later. The builder also wanted paying for completing different stages of the work. This seems pretty normal.

30k sounds about right but if you want another quote contact me on 0114 232 1632 / 07984 880806. specialize in extensions, city and guilds / cscs qualified. portfolio and recommendations available.

much satisfied work carried out in s7 area.

stuart

if you are struggling contact me on 0114 232 1632 / 07984 880806. specialize in extensions but carry out all types of building work, city and guilds / cscs qualified. portfolio and recommendations available.

stuart

we had an extension last year and the local estate agent was happy to come round and value the house before and then gave us his view about the value once he had seen the plans...just an idea, it was great for us.