Background music for e-book

Hello everyone.

I'm writing my first e-book. I have everything in place, as regards how the story will flow, plot etc. What I would like to do is add back ground music, has anyone got any experience of doing this or can recommend an application that would work. The type of music I’m interested in is 70s, 80s .Thanks in advance Scribe.

Easy Answer:

Drop the idea

There are various options open to you. You could contact the record company direct and ask them to sell you a licence to use their music. This assumes you can get a reply; they may well just ignore the request or refuse point blank.

The trouble is you don't own the copyright in the music and the record company does and they probably have much greater legal services at their disposal.

If you go ahead and use the music without their approval, they are likely to send round a letter advising of their intention to pursue legal action to recover their lost revenue.

You mention that it's your first e-book. I don't think that they will entertain a debut writer using their material without permission. Is it absolutely necessary to use background music? If the writing is good enough, then the reader will imagine it. Assuming that you get permission from one record company, what happens if you need a track from another company and they refuse? Can you rewrite the crucial scene to match the permitted music?

Some people will read quicker than others. How can you guarantee that the music and text will stop at precisely the same moment?

Assuming the record company will issue a licence for £500, are you sure you'll be able to recover that money in sales?

I can foresee all sorts of problems on this one.. Sorry!

A friend of mine used to use music with a free license on his outdoors videos. I know he got it online but i've no idea where.