Does God Exist?

19 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

This is not the same as being born with belief in gods, it's nothing like it. It's actually a very shaky argument which is often used to try and rationalise belief in gods.

I said that in the context of the suggestion that belief is the default position. 

Of course, after birth people can develop belief without indoctrination. 

Arriving at a belief without external influences though? Do you have an example of that?

I've known as well as come across some people who just found belief.

Surely an interest has to be there etc but some people just follow a path, that they end up finding gives them some answers.

1 hour ago, Mr Fisk said:

I've known as well as come across some people who just found belief.

Surely an interest has to be there etc but some people just follow a path, that they end up finding gives them some answers.

What did they actually believe in?

58 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

What did they actually believe in?

Well, I know one in particular (case) of an atheist.

He became atheist from 14 yrs old, meaning he distanced himself from any form of religion- in his situation the general 'belief' was Christianity.

By 17 he was involved with alot of atheism platforms and debates, going up mainly against Christian apologists.

But by his own admission he felt something was missing and continued to look at other religions or belief systems.

I do think deep down we all possess this spiritual aspect- sometimes it is awakened and sometimes it isn't.

I'm still having to go "no" on this, having seen precisely zero evidence of an omnipresent thing in the sky influencing everyone's action unless you are talking about the Sun. 

Ever since the first caveman looked up into the night sky and wondered at its awesomeness, he has believed in something greater than himself, and searched for meaning. That still continues. The same basic fundamental questions have not been answered. Who or what created the Universe?  What is our purpose? What lies beyond?

Science has not provided the answers.

Mystics have tried but cannot provide proof.

Maybe the answers lie somewhere between with with Quantum physics.

I believe there are certainly dimensions we haven't even begun to explore yet.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Ever since the first caveman looked up into the night sky and wondered at its awesomeness, he has believed in something greater than himself, and searched for meaning. That still continues. The same basic fundamental questions have not been answered. Who or what created the Universe?  What is our purpose? What lies beyond?

Absolutely spot on Anna.

1 hour ago, Mr Fisk said:

Well, I know one in particular (case) of an atheist.

He became atheist from 14 yrs old, meaning he distanced himself from any form of religion- in his situation the general 'belief' was Christianity.

By 17 he was involved with alot of atheism platforms and debates, going up mainly against Christian apologists.

But by his own admission he felt something was missing and continued to look at other religions or belief systems.

I do think deep down we all possess this spiritual aspect- sometimes it is awakened and sometimes it isn't.

So...

Like I said,  what does he actually believe in?

(And what was he before the age of 14?)

48 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What makes you think we have a purpose?

And what lies beyond what?

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Anna B said:

That’s a nice idea but it’s only partly  true.

our ability to imagine is a huge plus for sapiens but the true outcome is that we were able to imagine things and convince others to form a common belief and thus a common goal.

8 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

So...

Like I said,  what does he actually believe in?

(And what was he before the age of 14?)

What makes you think we have a purpose?

And what lies beyond what?

I don't think he was particularly following anything before other than that his family were Christian- he left that (as many do who become atheist) because of the confusion over Christian theology.

25 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

I don't think he was particularly following anything before other than that his family were Christian- he left that (as many do who become atheist) because of the confusion over Christian theology.

So what is it that he believes in?

Having listened to him recently, he looked at other religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism and had 'discarded' Islam as something foreign.

When he still didn't find any rational sense in Buddhism/ Hinduism as well as still not rationally satisfied in Christianity- he decided to read and look into the one he was ruling out.

He found his answers there and is now content. In fact he now helps other atheists who genuinely seek to know.

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Mr Fisk said:

Having listened to him recently, he looked at other religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism and had 'discarded' Islam as something foreign.

When he still didn't find any rational sense in Buddhism/ Hinduism as well as still not rationally satisfied in Christianity- he decided to read and look into the one he was ruling out.

He found his answers there and is now content. In fact he now helps other atheists who genuinely seek to know.

Your answer is a little convoluted,  are you saying it's Islam?