Does God Exist?

With everything going on in the world today does God care enough to help us if so what is he or she waiting for......

Just a thought in these very trying times.....

30 minutes ago, Box11 said:

With everything going on in the world today does God care enough to help us if so what is he or she waiting for......

Just a thought in these very trying times.....

That's a difficult and reasonable question.

My answer has to be yes, because that's what I believe but we're talking about faith here, no matter what name you give to God, it's a matter of personal faith.  I have a right to my personal beliefs, as everyone else has.

Maybe he's not waiting, maybe we already have the answer but need to come to realise it.  I don't have all, or perhaps even any of the answers, and others, within their rights, can say my faith is illogical, or even stupid but I don't think it's blind because every day I witness little miracles that I want to thank God for.  I admit it's difficult and challenging at this present time but that faith is still there.  It's an horrific time but there's still so much good in the world.

Everyone does have a right to personal belief but people's faith in God, especially in Catholic countries with Italy being a prime example , may just be what has helped spread this virus so fast.

A priest in Paris has defied lockdown and held a mass with 40 people present. A priest in India has done the same. A Bishop in Greece has done the same. A pastor in Louisiana held a service for 300 despite a ban on gatherings of 50 or more. He also told the worshipers that Coronavirus was politically motivated. Catholic churches in Tanzania are staying open despite lockdown elsewhere and the list goes on, and all in the name of God. If people need a faith in a God to help them cope then that is fine but blatantly disregarding common sense as above is not.

But.. personally I don't think God exists.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Everyone does have a right to personal belief but people's faith in God, especially in Catholic countries with Italy being a prime example , may just be what has helped spread this virus so fast.

A priest in Paris has defied lockdown and held a mass with 40 people present. A priest in India has done the same. A Bishop in Greece has done the same. A pastor in Louisiana held a service for 300 despite a ban on gatherings of 50 or more. He also told the worshipers that Coronavirus was politically motivated. Catholic churches in Tanzania are staying open despite lockdown elsewhere and the list goes on, and all in the name of God. If people need a faith in a God to help them cope then that is fine but blatantly disregarding common sense as above is not.

Belief (or otherwise) is a very personal thing.

Please don't confuse it with religion which I believe is a flawed man-made concept, and has historically been used to insist on a particular crede /viewpoint, and therefore used to control people.

You surely don't need a church or temple to pray or meditate or believe in something greater than yourself. If people find these things comforting and helpful, so be it.  Somewhere it says that God's temple is within all of us, which implies that we can worship alone if we wish. However if some people also gain extra comfort from belonging to a like minded group, or religious community then that's up to them. I'm lucky enough to know some truly wonderful, kind and gentle people who live a good life and also attend church, and some who don't. I also know a few bigoted, blind judgemental types in both camps too, so it doesn't really prove anything.

As for the religious gatherings you mention, well to me that just flies in the face of common sense. God helps those who help themselves.  No pastor or religious leader worth his salt  would put people in a dangerous position just to prove a point. It's arrogance beyond belief.   

Edited by Anna B

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

Oh I agree and did state that everyone has a right to personal belief.

Of course God exists.....................

But who it really is i do not know..

It's either "Mr Trump" or "Mr Putin"

Well they think they're "God".....

Is it just me, or has this Coronavirus pandemic had the effect of turning some people back to God, or at least given them pause for thought? What do you think?

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Is it just me, or has this Coronavirus pandemic had the effect of turning some people back to God, or at least given them pause for thought? What do you think?

I don't think so...Most Thinking folk... these days do not believe in GOD....Or Any gods.

You say some people are going 'Back to God'....As if they were With GOD in the first place?

How do you know what their belief is or was?

18 hours ago, Anna B said:

Please don't confuse it with religion which I believe is a flawed man-made concept, and has historically been used to insist on a particular crede /viewpoint, and therefore used to control people.

You surely don't need a church or temple to pray or meditate or believe in something greater than yourself. If people find these things comforting and helpful, so be it.  Somewhere it says that God's temple is within all of us, which implies that we can worship alone if we wish. However if some people also gain extra comfort from belonging to a like minded group, or religious community then that's up to them. I'm lucky enough to know some truly wonderful, kind and gentle people who live a good life and also attend church, and some who don't. I also know a few bigoted, blind judgemental types in both camps too, so it doesn't really prove anything.

As for the religious gatherings you mention, well to me that just flies in the face of common sense. God helps those who help themselves.  No pastor or religious leader worth his salt  would put people in a dangerous position just to prove a point. It's arrogance beyond belief.   

My bold....So you are a believer then...!

This is where things might get a little sticky..

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

For me personally not really.

It has never sat comfortably with me that large numbers of people still in modern society, with all the knowledge that has been gathered,  put their faith in some (IMO mythical) supreme being and the (alleged) teachings of a storybook rather than putting focus in the belief in oneself to make your own decisions, sort your own problems, and forge your own path.

I find it even more uncomfortable and even to the point of anger that religious groups still have influence on our laws, society and parliamentary systems. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

34 minutes ago, woolyhead said:

Can you prove that YOU exist?

Yes. I did a jigsaw over the weekend. It's sitting there in front of me. Nobody else did it. It must have been me and I remember doing it. You could also ask my partner for whom I cooked her tea tonight. She definitely had food and if you need proof I can send you her feces tomorrow.  So we have proof she ate and evidence I cooked her food. 

Yep that seems like real physical evidence that I exist.

If you need photos just let me know. 

On 13/04/2020 at 15:05, apelike said:

Pastor in Louisiana dead from covid 19. Guess he didn't pray hard enough.

https://www.ksla.com/2020/03/26/well-known-pastor-dies-following-coronavirus-complications/