Does God Exist?

My description of god as the concept of human cooperation does not make it an actual embodied being.

Then what's the point in calling it god?

why not 'steve' or 'Cthulhu', or even just 'people cooperating'?

Then what's the point in calling it god?

why not 'steve' or 'Cthulhu', or even just 'people cooperating'?

Indeed, a rose by any other name is still a rose :)

Perhaps in the interests of true understanding we should call it something else, its just that its been refereed to as god for so long by so many... care to make up a name?

Indeed, a rose by any other name is still a rose :)

But you've not done that, you've not taken the idea of god and called it something else, which that little cliche you've spouted implies. Instead you have done the exact opposite, you've taken an idea that is not god and called it god. A more appropriate analogy would be:

If you take an imaginary rose that is a metaphor for something that has nothing to do with roses and call it a rose that still doesn't make it a rose.

In what way is your version of god a god?

Perhaps in the interests of true understanding we should call it something else, its just that its been refereed to as god for so long by so many..

No it hasn't. No-one has been cllaing 'human cooperation' god for a long time.

People have been calling a magical omnipotent being who's supposed to care about us god for a long time.

These two concepts are very different, that's my point.

But you've not done that, you've not taken the idea of god and called it something else, which that little cliche you've spouted implies. Instead you have done the exact opposite, you've taken an idea that is not god and called it god. A more appropriate analogy would be:

I ment that calling it god, devil or steve does not change its nature and effect. And it is the effect thats important not the name.

If you take an imaginary rose that is a metaphor for something that has nothing to do with roses and call it a rose that still doesn't make it a rose.

If god did exist, but was called tony, would that make anything different?

No it hasn't. No-one has been cllaing 'human cooperation' god for a long time.

Well people have managed to cooperate enough to send some to space, you can go and check that if you so wish. Yes you, right now, can go and accurately determine if that is the case, yourself, its a fact. Does this mean human cooperation has survived for a long time?

People have been calling a magical omnipotent being who's supposed to care about us god for a long time.

These two concepts are very different, that's my point.

People ask for proof of existence of 'god', but to know if god exists you need to know what god is.

I have given you the knowledge required to determine proof of 'god' for yourself, and you dont need to read the ancient scrolls to know its ture. Literally right now, you, can go out and prove that all i said was accurate and actively shapes the lives of all involved - this is unlike the omnipotent being which has no basis for existence or proof thereof.

Go to a shop, buy yourself a candy bar and as you check out look the concierge in the eyes, smile and say thank you. See what happens when you cooperate, note how you feel, note how the other person appears to feel.

I encourage you to repeat that a few times, to determine if the response is accurate and reproducible. You can try acting like a dick to see the other side too, but i hope you dont!

Edited by adaline

Well people have managed to cooperate enough to send some to space, you can go and check that if you so wish. Yes you, right now, can go and accurately determine if that is the case, yourself, its a fact. Does this mean human cooperation has survived for a long time?

I didn't say that people don't cooperate with one another, try reading my post again.

People ask for proof of existence of 'god', but to know if god exists you need to know what god is.
You mean I need to accept your definition of god, well I'm sorry, but I do not. Your definition is meaningless to me. Cooperation is not god, it is just cooperation.

I have given you the knowledge required to determine proof of 'god' for yourself, and you dont need to read the ancient scrolls to know its ture. Literally right now, you, can go out and prove that all i said was accurate and actively shapes the lives of all involved - this is unlike the omnipotent being which has no basis for existence or proof thereof.
This has just become an argument of semantics, you are literally defining god into existence.

It would be like me saying 'Unicorns exist'.

Look here is proof: http://www.freefoto.com/images/01/08/01_08_52---Duck_web.jpg

That's a unicorn right there.

Now you may say that that is a duck but I say it is a unicorn, therefore Unicorns exist.

Just like, I say god doesn't exist.

You say god does exist, but in order to argue this you change the meaning of god so much that it becomes worthless.

Go to a shop, buy yourself a candy bar and as you check out look the concierge in the eyes, smile and say thank you. See what happens when you cooperate, note how you feel, note how the other person appears to feel.

I encourage you to repeat that a few times, to determine if the response is accurate and reproducible. You can try acting like a dick to see the other side too, but i hope you dont!

I feel good about things like that, it's nice to be nice.

Now what does this have to do with god?

Edited by flamingjimmy

God is cool :)

Edited by adaline
blasphemy!

Do we have any proof of God, if we use the Bible as a yardstick men should have 1 less rib than women untrue.

Ho saw Adam eat the apple with Eve and wrote it down. Is there one shread of evidence to back up the old testiment or indeed the new testiment.

I think not

What difference does it make?

Now what does this have to do with god?

It does not matter ether way really, whatever god was the future is now ours. God and science both teach to be nice to each other and both fail to prevent war and suffering around the world.

What difference does it make?

Loads, apparently it could be the difference between eternal suffering and eternal paradise.

England made it through the Groups round. How much more proof do you need !

True.

Herr Gott wants revenge for 2 world wars and one world cup.

:o