Does God Exist?

There is no, if very little evidence, that God exists in the form of which any religion implies. This is why it is called Faith.

Ah the old subject still lives ;)

Well let me add some coal to your fires, yes there is god and...its you, all of you.

All that you see around you would not be possible for any one man to achieve, this internet site for example, the computer it runs on, the internet itself, mathematics needed to make it all work, mathematics itself - in fact these very words your reading that let me communicate my thoughts and for you to understand me as you do; none of this would be possible for any one human being to achieve within its lifespan!

It takes cooperation and teamwork of billions working for millennia, each one nudging the edge of our collective knowledge of the world just a tad further.

This skill of cooperation is in all of us, so the bible describing the concept of god to you is no different than Shakespeare describing love in Romeo and Juliet. In both cases nether God nor Romeo or Juliet have to exist for the concept to ring true, for the story to speak to you.

To put into words the feelings and emotions you have already experienced - that is all a book can do. Had people not known 'god' already the bible would make as much sense as to a Neanderthal reading a book on quantum physics written in Klingon.

Be nice to one another, because everyone around is a part of you - together you are destined for great things, split apart you will bring terrible evil and suffering. Heaven and hell if you like, just look for them - thoes stories that make you smile and stories that upset you, all happing right now, in our world, to all of us!

Edited by adaline
give it some shape to read easier

Ah the old subject still lives ;)

Well let me add some coal to your fires, yes there is god and...its you, all of you.

All that you see around you would not be possible for any one man to achieve, this internet site for example, the computer it runs on, the internet itself, mathematics needed to make it all work, mathematics itself - in fact these very words your reading that let me communicate my thoughts and for you to understand me as you do; none of this would be possible for any one human being to achieve within its lifespan!

It takes cooperation and teamwork of billions working for millennia, each one nudging the edge of our collective knowledge of the world just a tad further.

This skill of cooperation is in all of us, so the bible describing the concept of god to you is no different than Shakespeare describing love in Romeo and Juliet. In both cases nether God nor Romeo or Juliet have to exist for the concept to ring true, for the story to speak to you.

To put into words the feelings and emotions you have already experienced - that is all a book can do. Had people not known 'god' already the bible would make as much sense as to a Neanderthal reading a book on quantum physics written in Klingon.

Be nice to one another, because everyone around is a part of you - together you are destined for great things, split apart you will bring terrible evil and suffering. Heaven and hell if you like, just look for them - thoes stories that make you smile and stories that upset you, all happing right now, in our world, to all of us!

So did man create the cosmos?

So did man create the cosmos?

Do you mean the outer space?

You mean the outer space?

That, or even just the earth. It took millions of years for man to invent the wheel.

That, or even just the earth. It took millions of years for man to invent the wheel.

The sun pre-dates the wheel and man by unimaginable time scale, yet has the very shape of the wheel...

Man created nothing - he saw and copied what was there already.

Edited by adaline
Too hungover to write lol

Yet the sun pre-dates the wheel and man by unimaginable time scale, yet has the very shape of the wheel... Man created nothing - he saw and copied what was there already.

Who made what was already there? You just said man is God.

"yes there is god and...its you, all of you.
Edited by Grahame

Why did someone have to make everything? If a tree falls in a forest, did god push it over?

My description of god as the concept of human cooperation does not make it an actual embodied being.

Edited by adaline

Why did someone have to make everything? If a tree falls in a forest, did god push it over?

Are you an atheist?

Are you an atheist?

Let me give you a little mental exercise :)

If you had no way to ask me this and all you could do is observe my actions.

Given that my actions reflected the teachings of god and i treated other people well, could you conclusively assert whether i was an atheist or a believer in god?

When you have done this i will give you a follow up question to muse about :)

Let me give you a little mental exercise :)

If you had no way to ask me this and all you could do is observe my actions.

Given that my actions reflected the teachings of god and i treated other people well, could you conclusively assert whether i was an atheist or a believer in god?

When you have done this i will give you a follow up question to muse about :)

If I saw you walking on the moon, which is probably one of our greatest achievements, I would think, "Didn't God do a fantastic job when he made adaline." :)

(I have just realised what your signature means, very clever) :D

Are you saying that discussion between people with opposite viewpoints is completely pointless and should not be done, or are you saying religion is a special case?

Reading the threads on this post and other posts on religion, I think a lot of derogatory things are said against those who believe ie "I hate people like that", and "people must be crazy to believe in God" etc - I have no problem people discussing subjects but have found on the religious posts that it becomes almost personal - ie I must be a complete idiot to believe what I believe.

I think if the debate sticks to the subject then that's fine, I'm not offended by people not believing as I do, but I am offended when personally attacked.

So you do think religion is a special case, because in your opinion people are more insulting when it comes to religion.

I think that that is completely untrue, on the forum people can be just as insulting about party politics, the situation in the middle east, how to raise children, what to do with pedophiles, immigration.

Do you think that all of those topics should be left alone as well?

Question also applies to these folks:

I don't believe that there is an all powerful god but some people do and the believers and non believers will never agree so what is the point of this debate.

Well, there IS no point, but some people have an answer for everything, and they refuse to let the subject lie!