Original gift ideas for new baby/mum?

I am looking for some ideas for a different present for someone who is due to give birth to their first baby very shortly. They have most of the big things they need, and have chosen not to find out the baby's gender, so I'm struggling to think of something to buy. I want to get a gift for each of them. Oh, and I don't have a very big budget.

Any ideas anyone? :help:

Look on Ebay under baby bouquet.

These are lovely made out of baby clothes.

They range from small ones with baby socks in up to large ones containing a variety of clothes.

Don't know how much you want to spend but I think these make a lovely gift.

Hi there Isabelle

We have lots of great items we can personalise for a new baby. We also have clay imprints on offer at £20 (usually £40) - Clay imprints capture a little ones hands and feet in clay - they make wonderful keepsakes. There's pictures of our products on our facebook page and website. Alternatively we have gift vouchers. Feel free to contact us on 0114 2403813 if we can help you with anything x

what is your relationship to this mother and child?

If it's your sister or similarly close person, keepsake items may be appropriate, but if not, you may find you're duplicating something somebody has already bought (although if you're going to craft something, that's fine - how about a framed cross stitch? Leave space for the name, dob, and weight so you can fill that in as soon as you know)

There's no such thing as too many vests or babygrows, so as a rule of thumb, I buy ones the next couple of sizes up, as less people buy those

How about a book on baby massage and some massage oil that is suitable for both mother and baby?

Babysitting IOU's are cheap, you can make crafty ones too.

I only had one baby but it felt like five some days.

A solid two hour free time slot for a new mum can be worth it's weight in gold!

I need a like button for Stranza's post!

leather pants and tequila :)

what is your relationship to this mother and child?

If it's your sister or similarly close person, keepsake items may be appropriate, but if not, you may find you're duplicating something somebody has already bought (although if you're going to craft something, that's fine - how about a framed cross stitch? Leave space for the name, dob, and weight so you can fill that in as soon as you know)

There's no such thing as too many vests or babygrows, so as a rule of thumb, I buy ones the next couple of sizes up, as less people buy those

I'm doing a cross stitched sampler for my nephew's Christening, I think it's a nice idea :)

Babysitting IOU's are cheap, you can make crafty ones too.

I only had one baby but it felt like five some days.

A solid two hour free time slot for a new mum can be worth it's weight in gold!

That IS true.

Also, a relative of mine brought me a food hamper after giving birth, with fresh fruits, bread, cheese, etc I thought that was so thoughtful, as I wasn't feeling like going to the shops.

Why do the gifts have to be just things for the baby? The mum still exists as a woman in her own right doesn't she? Some lovely body care products for mum as she shrinks back into her normal clothes would go down a bundle I suspect, as would all sorts of practical help or thoughtful free babysitting tokens (which cost you time rather than money).

When my friends have their babies and have dozens of relatives around to coo at the baby and ignore the fact that mum is dog tired, in pain and wants them all to go away I turn up with some home made cakes to feed to the relatives and make them all a drink (mum usually gets more than one if she's parched because she's breast feeding).

Why do the gifts have to be just things for the baby? The mum still exists as a woman in her own right doesn't she? Some lovely body care products for mum as she shrinks back into her normal clothes would go down a bundle I suspect, as would all sorts of practical help or thoughtful free babysitting tokens (which cost you time rather than money).

When my friends have their babies and have dozens of relatives around to coo at the baby and ignore the fact that mum is dog tired, in pain and wants them all to go away I turn up with some home made cakes to feed to the relatives and make them all a drink (mum usually gets more than one if she's parched because she's breast feeding).

That was my thought too Medusa. Everyone buys stuff for the baby and makes a fuss of it, but I don't want the mum to feel left out either. She is going to breastfeed so alcohol is not the best idea :suspect:

I do like the idea of pampering gifts and the food hamper idea, and she does like cheeses, and hasn't been allowed to have certain kinds for the past 9 months.