Cobblestone roads in Sheffield

My Granny used to live on buttermere road and I was looking at some old war time pictures of the road and that was a cobbled road.

When Arundel Lane was being dug up by contractors, the cobbles were being sold off by the workmen on the job which the council did absolutely nothing about, this has happened allover the city. I can remember going to work one morning and around thirty flagstones outside the General Post Office had been lifted, the next morning no sign of the flagstones but they had been replaced by the workmen with Asphalt, I waited a few days to see if they were going to be put back but the workmen left and the flags were not put back so i rang the council to complain and the very next day the Asphalt was dug up and the flags were reinstated. The flags had been sold for someones patio.

The council used to sell them, you had to go to Depot on Manor lane, pay for them, get docket and take it to Clayweels Lane where the flags were stored. When they demolished the Steel houses on Holgate, the entire street was stripped of flags in few days by thieving scroats but the police couldn't catch them

Sussex street.

Sussex road.

Both by the canal.

And freshly resurfaced in lovely black asphalt

Just googled that one,it looks like it was tarmaced at one time and its worn out.

I walked on that street 3 years ago when I visited Sheffield. I see the asphalt patches to which you're referring. It may indicate that the whole street was asphalted and it wore out or, more likely, that the asphalt was used to patch problem areas, potholes etc, in the street. When I was on the street, I came away with the latter impression.

Guess Talbot Gardens wont ever get re-tarmacked as it's unadopted, so i think the residents would have to finance it.

Never bothered me when i lived there for several years though.

Running off South street park hill, to, tram track.There was a pub on the corner at one time and I think it was called the sun.Just had a look on google earth and it is called Gilbert street.

Edited by Kidorry

Treeton street attercliffe used to be cobblestoned as youngsters we picked the tar from inbetween them, the cobbles were still there when i moved

Cobbles stones still on figtree lane little side st just off Bank st.

Guess Talbot Gardens wont ever get re-tarmacked as it's unadopted, so i think the residents would have to finance it.

Never bothered me when i lived there for several years though.

Lived on Talbot Place in late 40s. Back yards of TP border Talbot Gradens on one side so we just had to open the back gate and we were on TG. The end of TG has a wall, on the other side of which is the Alms Houses. On Bonfire Night we used to build a bonfire next to that wall, set off fireworks, etc.

The houses at Grimesthorpe were all demolished in the late 1960s. I lived on Adsetts Street between 1943 and 1957, and the end portion at the junction with Grimesthorpe Road still has the cobbles showing. Near the opposite end (which has now been renamed Petre Street and tarmaced) Bland Street runs off. This is still in use and is still completely cobbled as mentioned in an earlier post on this site. Unfortunately it is being slowly destroyed by, apparently, heavy equipment using it.