Mobile phone when driving a bus

It actually amazes me how many people you see using their phones whilst driving anything from a car to a 10 ton lorry. It's as if they think it doesn't apply to them because their phone call is really important and it's only a little bit illegal!!

My husband videod a tram driver using his phone whilst driving. Supertram took it very serious, even coming to our house to see the evidence. Apparantly there are levels of discipline with them for it.

i know this is going off subject of bus drivers. i saw a police man driving a van through town whilst on his radio. surely this is illegal too? with it being a handheld device i mean?

just a couple of questions guys. please don't let rip :)

i know this is going off subject of bus drivers. i saw a police man driving a van through town whilst on his radio. surely this is illegal too? with it being a handheld device i mean?

I would probably agree. I imagine the scene in most vans/cars would be one officer driving, one officer using radio when needed. If this one wasn't then I would say he/she was endangering people in the same way that any other motorist using a mobile is.

I have just seen the 268 bus for Middlewood turn off Wadsley lane on to Marlcliffe road at 5.37pm and the driver was on his mobile phone, has anybody else seen this ? .Would you report this or is it a waste of time ?

Report this now the driver is a fool who wants banning.

I think you will find that the offence is driving while using a handheld mobile phone.

Radios are exempt including cb radio.

Radios are exempt including cb radio.

You could still be done for driving without due care & attention or not being in full control of your vehicle.

You could still be done for driving without due care & attention or not being in full control of your vehicle.

True, but that would normally be in conjunction with another traffic offence.

All use of mobile phones whilst driving should be brought in line with drink driving and an automatic ban.

They should certainly be punished more severely, but the real problem is catching them. Maybe a private company should be employed to film them and the films sent to the Police who then actually prosecute them. The company then getting paid for each driver who is prosecuted.

On my drive into my shop this morning I saw three drivers on their mobiles within 2 minutes, and two of them were driving vans. As such they should be targeted even more simply because the increased weight of their vehicle would do that much more damage if they had an accident......

4 weeks ago i saw a tram driver doing the same thing. you can argue and say that it is a rails. BUT it is still the law it's on the road with other road traffic and they should NOT be doing it . They want sacking !

Edited by peoples